Responsible Conduct of Research Training
Drexel University offers a short course (1 credit) in the responsible conduct of research (RCR) to introduce investigators to major ethical and policy issues in research. Priority will be given to those issues covered in the federal definition of “scientific misconduct” and in the NIH’s model curriculum on RCR.
These issues include data fabrication, data falsification and plagiarism; responsible authorship, publication and mentorship practices; conflicts of interest; data management; and the use of human participants and animal subjects in research. Broader ethical issues in scientific research will be touched upon as well, for example regarding changes in the way science is funded and structured and evolving social views regarding researchers’ responsibilities to both humans and animal involved in research.
This course meets the RCR training requirements for NIH Institutional Research Training Grants, Individual Fellowship Awards, Career Development Awards (Institutional and Individual), Research Education Grants, Dissertation Research Grants, and other federal grant programs that have a required RCR training component.
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Consider their role as scientists in society and the kinds of ethical considerations that are implicated in scientific activity.
- Understand the changing nature of science and the ways in which science is shaped by social values.
- Understand the federal definition of “scientific misconduct,” factors driving the prevalence of misconduct, the processes for investigating misconduct, and the penalties for committing misconduct.
- Understand relevant governmental and non-governmental policies regarding authorship, data retention and sharing, financial conflicts of interest, and the use of human participants and animal subjects in research.
- Consider broader ethical issues, beyond policies per se, regarding each of the aforementioned areas.
Please contact Natalie Chernets in the Graduate College to register for this course.