About the MS in Public Health Ethics
The Master of Science (MS) in Public Health Ethics equips students with the knowledge and skills needed to identify, understand and analyze ethical issues in public health; to disseminate new knowledge through the scholarly literature; and to work towards real-world solutions to ethical issues.
Students receive in-depth training in ethical theory and decision-making and the ethical dimensions of public health research, practice and policy. Students also receive training in public health systems and research methods.
The program prepares students to serve as thought leaders in the field of public health and for job positions requiring expertise in health ethics. It can also serve as a stepping-stone for students wishing to pursue doctoral-level education in ethics.
What You Will Learn
- Expertise in health ethics
- Identifying, understanding and analyzing ethical issues in public health
- Disseminating new knowledge through the scholarly literature
- Working towards real-world solutions to ethical issues
- Training in ethical theory and decision-making and the ethical dimensions of public health research, practice and policy
The degree is excellent preparation for careers in health care compliance, ethical and regulatory pharmaceutical and biotechnical industries, institutional review boards, and community health.
Graduates can work as:
- Consultants in clinical settings, law firms and research facilities
- Genetic counselors
- Public policy advisors or analysts
- Community spokespeople or educators
Applicants to the MS in Public Health Ethics program must possess a minimum GPA of 3.0 from an undergraduate bachelor degree program in an accredited US college or university, or its equivalent in another country.
Review Application Requirements
Completion of the MS in Public Health Ethics will require:
- 45 credits
- Coursework and practice in public health systems and research methods
- 12 months or 4 quarters to complete full time
- Master's thesis
Review Degree Requirements and Courses
Sample Plan of Study
Proseminar in Public Health Ethics
Cases in Public Health Ethics
Ethics Journal Club
Methods for Public Health Research I
Ethics Journal Club
Public Health Ethics
Global Health Ethics
Methods for Public Health Research II
History of Public Health
Health Disparities: Systemic, Structural, Environmental & Economic
Introduction to Research Ethics
Full Sample Plan of Study