Daniel King, PhD
Associate Department Head
Department of Chemistry
- PhD, University of Miami/RSMAS, 1997
- BA, Johns Hopkins University, 1990
Research interests include:
- Assessment of active learning methods and technology in chemistry courses
- Incorporation of environmental data into chemistry classroom modules
- Development of hands-on activities and laboratory experiments
Teaching interests include:
- General chemistry, environmental chemistry and everyday chemistry.
- Xian, J., and D.B. King, 2020, Teaching Kinetics and Equilibrium Topics Using Interlocking Building Bricks in Hands-on Activities, J. Chem. Educ., 97, 466−470. doi: 10.1021/acs.jchemed.9b00515.
- Xian, J., and D.B. King, 2017, The Effectiveness of General Chemistry Lab Experiments on Student Exam Performance, J. Lab. Chem. Educ., 5(5), 95-107. doi: 10.5923/j.jlce.20170505.01.
- King, Daniel B., Jennifer E. Lewis, Karen Anderson, Douglas Latch, Richard Moog, Susan Sutheimer, and Gail Webster, 2015, Choosing Appropriate Models – Incorporating Climate Change into General Chemistry, in Chemistry and the Environment: Pedagogical Models and Practices, Editor(s): Katherine C. Lanigan, Elizabeth S. Roberts-Kirchhoff, Kendra R. Evans, Mark A. Benvenuto, Alexa Rihana-Abdallah, 1214, American Chemical Society, pp 1-15, doi: 10.1021/bk-2015-1214.ch001.
- Bowman, C. R., O. Gulacar, D.B. King, 2014, Predicting Student Success via Online Homework Usage, J. Learn. Des., 7(2), 47-61, doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.5204/jld.v7i2.201.
- King, D.B., 2012, Using Multiple-Response Clicker Questions to Identify Student Misunderstanding, Quick Hits for Teaching with Technology, Indiana University Press, Bloomington, IN, 66-67.
- King, D., 2011, Sharing Pedagogical Techniques as a Mechanism for Interdisciplinary Contact, J. Coll. Sci. Teach., 41(2), 10-11. King, D.B., 2011, Utilization of Clickers to Identify Muddiest Points in Large Classes, J. Chem. Educ., 88 (11), 1485–1488, doi: 10.1021/ed1004799.
- King, D.B., 2010, Redesigning the Preexam Review Session, J. Coll. Sci. Teach., 40 (2), 88-95.
- King, D.B., and S. Joshi, 2008, Gender Differences in the Use and Effectiveness of Personal Response Devices, J. Sci. Ed. Technol., doi: 10.1007/s10956-008-9121-7, in press.
Graduate Program Faculty Member
*Only Graduate Program Faculty members can mentor graduate students