Low-Residency MFA in Creative Writing
Drexel University’s Master's of Fine Arts (MFA) in Creative Writing provides writers with the tools and skills to forge professional ties and succeed after graduation. This two-year program leverages Drexel’s historical approach to education with an emphasis on experiential and career-focused opportunities. With a mix of online and in-person opportunities, the MFA in Creative Writing's low-residency format accommodates the schedules of aspiring writers.
MFA students complete most of their courses remotely, participating in online workshops, reading tutorials and one-on-one packet exchanges with notable published writers. In-person residencies take place three times during the program and provide the opportunity for students to meet with professors, classmates and authors of distinction while participating in workshops and craft talks. The inaugural and graduating residencies take place on Drexel’s campus in Philadelphia. During the professional residency, fiction writers convene in New York to meet with publishers, agents and editors.
As an MFA student in Creative Writing, you can:
- Take a concentration in fiction writing as well as electives in areas such as YA and creative non-fiction.
- Complete the majority of your coursework online and remotely to accommodate your busy schedule.
- Lean from award-winning writers such as Sadeqa Johnson.
- Participate in optional teaching assistantships to gain experience and a salary.
- Engage in unique community-based learning opportunities. You’ll use storytelling to bring about change, establish community, provide joy, and increase opportunities for expression in populations such as hospitalized and terminally ill children, military veterans, incarcerated men and women, and hospice patients.
- Choose to take part in creative writing opportunities with military veterans, incarcerated men and women, and hospice patients.
Creative Writing Retreat in France
Drexel’s Creative Writing Retreat in France is the perfect getaway for MFA students to deepen and improve their work in the picturesque French village of Collioure. This six-night experience is designed for beginning, emerging and published writers. Attendees stay at the historic Hôtel des Templiers, in the center of the old village in the south of France, and fill their days with morning writing workshops, afternoon sensory experiences and evening craft talks. MFA students can take the retreat for credit (credit fees additional), or as a way to awaken their writing self. Spots are filled for the 2020 retreat. The next retreat will take place in June of 2021.
Learn More About the Creative Writing Retreat
Visit Drexel Online to learn more about the Low-Residency MFA in Creative Writing