Maryanoff First-Year Summer Research Program
Apply by January 25, 2021
The Department of Chemistry in Drexel University College of Arts and Sciences invites you to apply for the Maryanoff First-Year Summer Research Program. This program is open to all first-year Drexel science students who are interested in chemistry research in the following areas: atmospheric chemistry, materials chemistry, and/or biophysical chemistry.
Accepted students will receive a 10-week stipend for up to $4,000, depending on the number of research hours performed. Free summer lodging though a commuter opportunity will also be available to applicants.
This program is open to students who are eligible for employment and majoring in the following: Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Environmental Studies and Sustainability, Geoscience, Mathematics, Physics, Psychology and Science (undecided).
After completion of the research, students are each required to make a 10-minute presentation, date to be determined, to the program donors, Drs. Bruce and Cynthia Maryanoff.
How to Apply
- Submit a short (one page or less) essay on why you wish to be involved in research. Be sure to include your name, university ID number and major at the top of your application. Save your application in Word as follows: FirstName-LastName-Maryanoff-Application. For example: “Ravi-Patel-Maryanoff-Application.doc”
- Identify your first, second and third choice of the research project on which you wish to work, chosen from the following areas:
• Atmospheric Chemistry: Ezra Wood, PhD
• Materials Chemistry: Frank Ji, PhD
• Biophysical Chemistry: Reinhard Schweitzer-Stenner, PhD
View complete descriptions of the projects offered [PDF].
- Declaration that the student will conduct research for a 10-week period of approximately 40 hours/week. The start date which typically falls on the first day of classes for the summer term, June 21, 2021, may be subject to change based on the campus accessibility due to the pandemic.
- Indication of whether you would like to be considered for the commuter opportunity, as well as a lodger. The commuter option is highly recommended due to the uncertainty in the availability of campus housing under the pandemic.
Applications are due on or before Monday, January 25, 2021 for full consideration.
Applicants are expected to be notified by end of February 2021.
Please e-mail your application to: Jun Xi, PhD, email@example.com.