Implementation Science Research
Implementation science is the study of methods that influence the integration of evidence-based interventions into practice settings.*
Implementation science helps researchers understand how to develop evidence that has potential for widescale dissemination and implementation and how to integrate study findings in practice settings. By including key stakeholders and end-users upfront in the research process, researchers can begin to prepare for implementation of their research findings. Also, implementation science offers guidance in group settings, as to theoretical frameworks, best practices and evidence-based strategies for implementing evidence in real-world settings and working with others who value and can apply your findings and maximize impact.
Challenges to implementation may include competing demands of front-line providers, lack of knowledge skills and resources and misalignment of research evidence with operational priorities. As such, a need to develop methods and strategies for implementation that support systematic uptake of evidence are needed to fill these gaps and address challenges and barriers.
Implementation Science Research Interest Group has regular meetings to communicate and discuss news and updates to support investigators in enhancing their understanding of and participation in implementation science.
Working Groups offer continuous support in implementation science research including opportunities to:
- Meet like-minded interdisciplinary researchers interested in collaborating on academic and scholarly presentations, papers, grants and more.
- Identify where you are in the pipeline and provide tips and strategies for moving your research forward with next step actions.
- Receive mentoring opportunities from leading experts in the field of implementation science research.
- Build collaborative relationships with end users who can help you integrate your research into real-world settings.
- Align your research with others who are either in a similar place in the research “pipeline” or who can help you advance your research ideas.
- Learn what you value or want to focus more on in implementation science research.
The Fall Institute is designed to provide a foundation in implementation science and the design of studies that have potential to impact real world settings. Through lecture by leading experts and interactive small group sessions, participants will gain the knowledge, skills and strategies to design studies from the lens of implementation science and integrate evidence into diverse settings such as healthcare, community-based organizations, educational institutions and more.
*Center for Research in Implementation Science and Prevention. (2019)