Press Conference Held for Report that Shows Disparities Limiting Access to Healthcare Services
May 26, 2021
Rose Ann DiMaria-Ghalili, PhD, associate dean for Interprofessional Research and Development and professor, was quoted in May 6 KDKA-TV (CBS-Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania) and WHTM-TV (ABC-Harrisburg, Pennsylvania) stories about areas where people don’t have reasonable access to a pharmacy, and other health care access disparities across Pennsylvania found in recent report co-authored by DiMaria-Ghalili, Laura Gitlin, PhD, dean of the College, and AARP-PA. DiMaria-Ghalili was also quoted in a May 6 CNHI Pennsylvania’s Newspapers article about the report, which was republished by several outlets including The Daily Item (Sunbury, Pennsylvania) and The Herald (Sharon, Pennsylvania). Laura Gitlin, PhD, dean of the College of Nursing and Health Professions, was quoted in a May 7 Public News Service article. KDKA-AM (Pittsburgh) also reported the story. A story appeared in Metro Philadelphia on May 9.
Dean Gitlin was quoted in a May 10 Berks Community Television article about the report. Al Dia News also reported the story on May 11.
The Press conference was help on May 6 to introduce CNHP/AARP PA's new health disparities report that highlights inequities in rural and low resourced areas of the state, and underrepresented populations (particularly Black/African American and Latino), who lack access to health care, experience digital divide, and face persistent local healthcare workforce shortages. Speakers included:
- Rose Ann DiMaria-Ghalili, PhD, RN, FASPEN, FAAN, FGSA, Professor of Nursing, Associate Dean for of Interprofessional Research and Development
- Laura Gitlin, PHD, FGSA, FAAN, Dean .and Distinguished University Professor, Drexel University
- Jean Accius, PhD, Senior Vice President, Global Thought Leadership, AARP
- Angela Foreshaw-Rouse, Manager of State Operations and Outreach, AARP Pennsylvania
- Nancy Mimm, DNP, Assistant Professor of Population Health Nursing, Harrisburg University
- Geoffrey Roche, Executive Director of Strategic Healthcare Initiatives, Harrisburg University
- David Saunders, Director, Office of Health Equity, Pennsylvania Department of Health
The press conference is available to view.