Dementia Strategies Course Created for Professional Development
June 3, 2019
New CE Course on Dementia Offered for Fall 2019
The College of Nursing and Health Professions and the AgeWell Collaboratory are pleased to announce a new, one-day continuing education (CE) course. “Dementia Strategies: An Interprofessional Approach” will be offered on October 19, 2019 for health and human service professionals, clinicians and students both in person (at Three Parkway) and via live webcast.
The workshop will offer evidence-based knowledge and hands-on skills required to support individuals living with dementia and their care partners. Using an interprofessional approach, participants will be able to:
Key topics will include:
- Identify, prevent and address behavioral signs and psychological symptoms associated with dementia.
- Discuss novel therapeutic strategies to engage, stimulate and comfort individuals living with dementia.
- Demonstrate how to work with, support and include care partners and work on an interprofessional team in caring for and supporting individuals living with dementia and their care partners from a person-centered care paradigm.
- Novel approaches (activity, exercise) to address common clinical symptoms.
- Common medical issues and best practices.
- The environment as a therapeutic modality
Role of stigma and ways to address it.