May 26, 2016
- Florence Gelo, DMIN, associate professor in the Department of Family, Community & Preventive Medicine at Drexel University’s College of Medicine, and Girija Kaimal, EdD, assistant professor in the Creative Arts Therapies Department, recently received a $25,000 ($12,500 per year) grant from the Foundation for Spirituality and Medicine to conduct research on arts based approaches to palliative care.
- Maureen Vita, MA, CAT ‘09 art therapist for Drexel Cancer Care and a supervisor for interns in the MA in Art Therapy & Counseling program, recently received the 2015 Outstanding Supervisor Award from the Delaware Valley Art Therapy Association. The award honors an association member who has demonstrated outstanding mentorship, encouragement of professional development and leadership in the field
- Dana Murphy-Parker, MS, assistant clinical professor and track director for the Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Program, was invited to the White House on April 29th for an event honoring White House Champions of Change for Advancing Prevention, treatment and Recovery. As president of The International Nurses Society on Addictions, Murphy-Parker was invited as part of a group of Americans who are doing extraordinary things to empower and inspire members of their communities.
- Chandupa Abeyratna, a Health Services Administration student, was recently honored at the sixth annual Library Celebration Awards, which recognize individuals or teams that embody the characteristics of the Library Organization. Abeyratna received the Jane Bryan Student Award, for a student worker who demonstrates outstanding service to the libraries.
- Donna Sabella, PhD, coordinator of the Human Trafficking Certificate, has been named Seedworks Endowed Professorship in Nursing and Social Justice at the University of Massachusetts Amherst.
- Patricia Shewokis, PhD, professor in the Nutrition Sciences Department, was appointed to the University Advisory Committee by Provost Brian Blake.
- Loretta Sweet Jemmott, PhD, vice president, Health and Health Equity, was honored with the Nursing Colleague Award from NYU’s Rory Meyers College of Nursing.
- Girija Kaimal, EdD, assistant professor in the Creative Arts Therapies Department, was accepted into the University’s Assessment Fellows program for 2016-17.
Congratulations to the following students who were recognized at Drexel Graduate Student Day:
- Research Excellence: Courtney Butowicz, PhD student in Rehabilitation Sciences, Emily Werner, MS student in Human Nutrition; and Bryan Spinelli, PhD student in Rehabilitation Sciences
- Honorable Mention, Research Excellence: Laura G. Leahy, a DrNP student
- Honorable Mention, Outstanding Dissertation: Victoria Scotti, PhD student in Creative Arts Therapies
- Outstanding Promise: Nancy Parfitt Hondros, MA student in Art Therapy & Counseling,