Student Computer Requirements
While all Drexel students are required to own a Personal Computer for their studies, they may not have the same requirements as other programs within the University. Students looking to purchase computers for their coursework at CNHP should stay near these guidelines for a smooth experience throughout. Additional tips/suggestions are available on Drexel University Information Technology's Computer Purchasing Guide website.
All CNHP Programs require students to have a Windows* or Mac OS laptop. Tablet Devices (such as iPads) are considered supplemental devices, and not should be considered as a primary laptop due to lack of software support.
*You should avoid purchasing a device with Windows S as it is not a full-featured version of the Windows Operating System and may not function properly with software used at Drexel.
Regardless of computer chosen, we recommend purchasing the extended warranty option to last you through the duration of your coursework. In addition, it is very important to consider investing in a backup solution. CrashPlan is a great cloud backup solution that is already in use at Drexel on Drexel-owned computers and is available for personal use for a yearly fee.
CNHP HARDWARE RECOMMENDATIONS
View this Purchasing Recommendations Guide
Drexel provides (and requires) AntiVirus to all Drexel Unviersity students. There is no need to purchase your own.
DOWNLOAD SOPHOS ANTIVIRUS
Note: Valid Drexel credentials required.
Most of our programs administer exams or quizzes using one of two software tools:
- Respondus LockDown Browser: Students will use their personal laptop computers for taking classroom-based exams using Respondus Lock Down Browser. The software requirements for the exam software meet the requirements listed below.
- ExamSoft: Information will be provided by the academic programs that use ExamSoft.
SPSS is available to download from the Drexel Software Site. It is also installed on all Lab Computers and Research Area Computers.
DREXEL SOFTWARE SITE
Note: Valid Drexel credentials required.
PROGRAM LEVEL SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
Most Undergraduate Programs do not have special requirements as the computers are used for note taking and assignment completion. The following programs have additional uses:
- Accelerated Career Entry (ACE) and BSN Co-Op Nursing Students: Students may use their personal laptop computers for taking classroom-based or take-home exams. The software requirements for the exam software meet the requirements listed above.
Most of our Graduate Programs are offered Online or in a Hybrid format. The software requirements for the Online classroom environment meets the requirements listed above. The following programs have additional uses:
- Nurse Anesthesia Program: Students will use their personal laptop computers for taking classroom-based exams using ExamSoft SofTest. The software requirements for the exam software meet the requirements listed above.
- Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Sciences: Students may use their personal laptop computers for taking classroom-based or take-home exams. The software requirements for the exam software meet the requirements listed above.
Since Doctoral Programs vary in length, it is important to either purchase an extended warranty to cover your computer, or plan to purchase replacement computer at the mid-point of your studies if means allow. In addition, it is also important to make sure that your data (such as dissertation files) are backed up.
- Couple and Family Therapy (CFT): CFT Students will be issued a Drexel-owned laptop computer to use for their coursework by CNHP IT. Information regarding the computer will be provided by the program.
||Intel Core i5 or i7 (not i3)
||PC: Windows 10
Mac: MacOS 10.13 or later
||Minimum: 8 GB
||PC: Either Integrated Ethernet or USB to Ethernet Adapter
Mac: Thunderbolt to Ethernet Adapter
||Dual-Band 2.4 - 5 GHz Wireless 802.11 a/b/g/n
|Display & Graphics Card
||You can go for the manufacturer recommended Graphics Card if you will use the computer primarily for Word Processing and basic web browsing.
If you will be reviewing videos or working with graphics-intensive applications, we recommend using a more powerful graphics card.
|Storage (Hard Drive)
||Solid State Drive, 256GB or Larger
As always, if you have any questions, please contact your Program's Coordinator.