The Metadata Research Center (MRC) at Drexel University’s College of Computing & Informatics (CCI), in partnership with University of New Mexico Libraries, UC San Diego Library, OCLC, and project LEADING Mentors/institutions, invites early-to-mid career library professionals and doctoral students to participate in the LIS Education and Data Science-Integrated Network Group (LEADING) program. This is a virtual fellowship program supported by the Institute of Museum and Library Services. Application deadline is Tuesday, February 28, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. (EST).
LEADING Fellows will complete the following:
- Self-paced online preparatory curriculum (10 to 15 hours, May 2023)
- Online interactive boot camp led by data science faculty. The boot camp will run the first three weeks of June (two days per week, approximately four hours each day) [Example 2022 Schedule]
- Six-month virtual data science internship at a LEADING hub or node. Click this link to see project descriptions on the LEADING website: [LINK] (*Note: LEADING fellows may have on-site interaction, depending on their location)
- Development of a communication plan to connect with mentor/s on a regular basis
- Development of research output (e.g., a paper, poster, presentation, published data, etc.)
- Completion of final report documenting methods, outputs, and recommendations for project mentors (template to be provided)
- Fellowship stipend: up to $6,000 (~15 hours per week, July to December 2023)
- Barring COVID-19 restrictions, travel support provided to present project outcomes at a relevant conference or other venue. Travel support also provided for fellows to visit mentor/s
- Early and mid-career applicants: must hold a master’s degree earned by or before May 2023 (LIS or other disciplines acceptable)
- Doctoral students: need to be enrolled in iSchool or ALA-accredited LIS programs or a connected program.
- International applicants must reside in the U.S., have access to CPT support through your institution, and be eligible to work in the U.S.
Application Requirements: Visit the LEADING application page.
Applicants must complete the application form and upload the requested application materials. Complete the application form here.
- A one-page statement sharing your interest in the LEADING program and the selected fellowship sites. Your one-page statement must address why you seek to learn about the intersection of library science and data science, and your career goals
- A resume (1 to 2 pages)
- For doctoral students: A letter of reference from your advisor or a mentor
- For early-to mid-career professionals: A letter of reference from a current or recent supervisor
- Rank your top three choices for your data science fellowship placement
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusivity (DE&I)
The LEADING program is committed to attracting and recruiting a diverse cohort of fellows. The LEADING team will strive to provide learning environments that are welcoming, inclusive, and equitable. The College demonstrates its commitment and support through the CCI Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Council with representation of current students (undergraduate and graduate), faculty and professional staff. The Council works to support CCI and University-led DE&I initiatives.
LEADING is funded by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS), as part of the Laura Bush 21st Century Librarian Program. The LEADING project includes hubs at Drexel University, University of New Mexico College of University Libraries and Learning Sciences, OCLC Research, University of California, San Diego, and the following member nodes: AI-Collaboratory, University of Maryland iSchool; Kislak Center for Special Collections, University of Pennsylvania Libraries; Loretta C. Duckworth Scholars Studio, Temple University Libraries; Montana State University Library; Movement Alliance Project—People's Media Record; Research Organization Registry; Smithsonian Libraries; and the University of Rochester. (Additional partner members may join; for more information, please contact: MRC Metadata at: email@example.com)