Housed in our Data Science program, Drexel CCI's new Graduate Certificate in Big Data Analytics provides big data analytics skills including cloud computing, distributed computing, natural language processing as well as the opportunity of practicing their skills in the capstone projects. Offered beginning fall 2021, this certificate program may be stacked with other certificates to customize your education and/or serve as an entry point to Master of Science degrees in Data Science, Digital Content Management, or Library & Information Science.
Big Data Analytics Program Requirements
- Five-course program provides big data analytics skills including cloud computing, distributed computing, natural language processing as well as the opportunity of practicing their skills in the capstone projects
- Offered online or on-campus
Graduates of the program may immediately transfer into the following programs (if completed with predetermined grade requirements): Master of Science in Data Science, Master of Science in Information - Digital Content Management, or Master of Science in Information - Library & Information Science.
Big Data Analytics Certificate Program Coursework
Two required core courses (6 credits):
- DSCI 632 Applied Cloud Computing: Covering different technologies in cloud computing, this course focuses on the frameworks and algorithms used in the distributed processing of massive datasets. It will explore both batch and streaming data processing and examine the theory behind their algorithmic approaches. Students will gain practical experience by using cloud computing to solve real world problems.
- CS 660 Data Analysis at Scale: Focuses on systems and algorithms for scalable processing of large complex datasets. Consists of four thematic units: data preparation, including data cleaning and integration; distributed computation on MapReduce and Apache Spark; analysis of graph, network and spatiotemporal data; and analysis of streaming data.
Three electives courses (9 credits - choose any three below):
- Sample elective courses: DSCI 691 Natural Language Processing with Deep Learning; CS 676 Parallel Programming; INFO 633 Information Visualization; DSCI 591 Data Science Capstone 1*; DSCI 592 Data Science Capstone 2*
*Recommended for students who plan to pursue the MS in Data Science
Curriculum subject to change, pending Drexel Faculty Senate approval.
- Graduate application for the on-campus program or the online program
- A four-year bachelor's degree in any major from a regionally accredited institution in the United States or an equivalent international institution.
- 3.0 GPA in a prior completed degree, BA/BS and above.
- Official final transcripts including a bachelor's degree conferred from a regionally accredited institution and/or World Education Services (WES) Course-by-Course Evaluation of foreign transcripts.
- One (1) letter of recommendation required, two (2) suggested (academic, professional, or both).
- Essay/Statement of Purpose: in approximately 500 words, describe what professional goals you hope to achieve, how an advanced degree facilitates that success and anything else you want the Admissions Review Board to know about you.
- Current Resume.
- Additional requirements for International Students.
Additional Certificates and Minors in Data Science Available
CCI also offers graduate data science certificates (available online or on campus) in Intro to Data Science, Applied Data Science, Computational Data Science, and Applied Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning for Data Science.
For current graduate students who are interested in gaining data science knowledge to complement their master's degree, the College offers graduate minors in Computational Data Science and Applied Data Science.