The School of Biomedical Engineering, Science and Health Systems has formed an academic alliance with Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU) to create an exchange of faculty research. We invite all students to take part in this initiative, as outlined here on this page.
- Graduate Program Integration – Dual PhD degree program with Med-X Institute of Shanghai Jiao Tong University: Neuroengineering, Tissue Engineering, Regenerative Medicine, and Biomedical Imaging
- Joint Research Initiatives
- Joint Theses Advising
- Joint Faculty Positions
- Joint Technology Commercialization
- Joint Research Partners – SIAT Institute of Biomedical and Health Engineering under the Chinese Academy of Sciences in Shenzhen.
- Corporate Partners – Graduate Co-op Education with Carestream Health Inc.
Med-X Institute of Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU)
The School of Biomedical Engineering, Science and Health systems signed a cooperation agreement in April 2009 with the Med-X Research Institute of Shanghai Jiao Tong University to promote the advancement of learning through exchange and cooperation in teaching and research. The main thrusts of cooperation include NeuroEngineering, Tissue Engineering, Regenerative Medicine, and Biomedical imaging.
The Med-X Research Institute at Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU) is a recently established institute that focuses on interdisciplinary research in medicine, engineering and the physical Sciences. The mission of the Institute is to conduct cutting-edge basic and translational research that apply engineering, computer, and physics research capacity to solve pressing biomedical problems.
SJTU is not only one of the best institutions of engineering in China, but is also the number one institute of clinical medicine in China, with of the twelve highest ranked affiliated hospitals. These unique strengths provide a solid basis for Med-X to become a world-class research institute in interdisciplinary biomedical research.
A number of well-established investigators from around the world have joined the faculty of the Med-X Institute, including Dr. Jiwu Zhang, general manager of Global R&D Center and R&D Director of Asia Pacific at Carestream Health. Dr. Zhang visited Drexel's School of Biomedical Engineering, Science and Health Systems in November 2009 and delivered a seminar at Drexel on medical devices in China.
The Institute is equipped with many state-of-the-art research facilities, such as micro PET/CT, micro CT, optical animal imaging system, high-end flow cytometer and real time PCR. There are five primary research areas and four joint clinical research centers as the follows:
Primary Research Areas:
- Medical Imaging and Informatics
- Neurosciences and Neuroengineering
- Nanotechnology and Biomaterials
- Digital Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Novel Medical Equipment and Technology
Joint Clinical Research Centers:
- Med-X-Rujin Hospital Micro PET/CT Research Center
- Med-X Renji Hospital Clinical Stem Cell Research Center
- Shanghai Med-X Engineering Center for Medical Equipment and Technology – Shanghai Sixth People's Hospital Center
- Med-X Shanghai Ninth People's Hospital Rehabilitation Research Center