Some students are required by the federal government to document financial circumstances with the Drexel Financial Aid Office. This process, called verification, is required by the federal government to confirm the data submitted on the FAFSA or to confirm students' eligibility to receive financial aid.
Only students selected for verification need to complete this step. If you are selected for verification, funds will not be disbursed until the process is complete.
You will receive a letter from Drexel if you are selected for verification. The letter will contain a verification form and instructions on how to submit the appropriate documents. You can also monitor outstanding requirements and your status via DrexelOne.
What to Do
If you are selected for verification, download and complete the Verification Worksheet for the appropriate academic year. A PDF of the Verification Worksheet can be downloaded from the Financial Aid Forms webpage. Some of the additional requirements may include:
- Copies of official IRS tax return transcripts for 2012
- Documentation of independent student status
- Documentation of citizenship
- Selective Service registration — Males born after July 1960 must register with Selective Service to receive financial aid.
- Verification of Social Security number — If you have changed your name, be sure to notify the Social Security Administration or aid cannot be disbursed.
- Veterans may need to verify their status in order to receive aid.
- Students who are convicted of a drug offense may be ineligible for financial aid. For details, contact the federal government at 1-800-433-3243.
- Please note that only an official tax return transcript furnished by the IRS can be used by the Financial Aid Office for federal verification. Please do not send copies of IRS forms 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ or a tax account transcript.
- Funds will not be disbursed until the process is complete.
- Do not submit any information until Drexel requests it.
- If you are a new student the verification letter will be mailed to your home address; if you are a current student the letter will be mailed to your current mailing/local address on file in DrexelOne.