Media Arts & Design for Still-Deciding Students - Program Overview
The Antoinette Westphal College of Media Arts & Design offers Still-Deciding Students an option that allows them to explore the wide range of academic programs within our college.
The Still-Deciding Option is a one-year sequence of courses, comprehensive career counseling and academic advising, which introduces students to educational opportunities in the Westphal College and Drexel University. Students will take 4 to 5 years to complete their degrees depending on when they decide on a major and the course selections they make.
Frequently Asked Questions
What about majors that do not take transfer or change-of-major students?
Architecture 2+4 and Music Industry remain unavailable to transfer, change-of-major and still deciding students.
Which majors can the still deciding students move into in their second year?
Animation & Visual Effects, Dance, Design & Merchandising, Entertainment & Arts Management, Fashion Design, Film & Video, Game Art & Production, Graphic Design, Interior Design, Photography, Screenwriting & Playwriting, Television, Interactive Media Design.
Who decides if still-deciding students get into a major?
Change-of-major is at the discretion of the program directors.
What happens if a student fails to meet the GPA requirement of their intended major?
Still-deciding students must meet the same GPA requirements to change into a major as anyone else on campus. Any student denied entry into a program for academic reasons must improve his/her GPA and reapply. Students will have the opportunity to improve their GPA in the Goodwin College's General Studies Program.
What if a student is unable to change his/her major due to lack of space?
Students will have to select a first and second choice major. If the first choice is unavailable, they will move on to their second choice. Still-deciding students are not guaranteed entry into any particular major in their second year.
Program Policies and Procedures
- The College Recruitment Office will review applications for the option. Admissions requirements will be average Westphal requirements (GPA- 3.0 /SAT- 1100).
- Still-Deciding Students will be enrolled in a special three-term UNIV101 section. Here they will received extensive career counseling/assement provided by the Career Development Center. They will receive comprehensive orientation to their academic options at Drexel from College academic advisors and program directors.
- Students must meet Westphal academic standards (minimum college GPA 2.8) and follow procedures for change-of-major students when electing to transfer into a major. Change-of-major procedures will require an interview with the respective program director and a portfolio review for majors that require one. This must occur by the end of the freshman year.
- All change-of-major decisions will be made by the program directors.
- Students will meet with an academic advisor at the end of the winter term to discuss possible majors they are considering. Students will then meet with the program directors of the majors they are considering.
- Students will submit a 1st and 2nd choice major no later than middle of the spring term of their freshman year.
- Students who decide on a major before spring term can enter their new major during their freshman year, if there is space in the major.
- It is anticipated most students will complete their degrees in four years. Some students electing Fashion Design could take five years to complete their degrees.
- Music Industry and Architecture 2+4 are unavailable to students in this option.
To find out more about the Still-Deciding Student Option, contact David Miller, Director of Recruitment at 215-895-1675 (email: firstname.lastname@example.org)