Assistant Professor (Tenure-Track), Design & Merchandising
Drexel University’s program in Design & Merchandising seeks applications for a full-time Assistant or Associate Professor (9 month appointment with opportunity for summer employment), beginning September 2013. Rank at appointment will be commensurate with experience.
Candidates must have a PhD, MBA or other terminal degree in clothing, apparel, retail, merchandising, design management, consumer sciences, or a related subject. Evidence of current/ongoing academic or industry research with a strong theoretical and applicable foundation in multi-channel merchandising and/or design related to processes in such areas as social media, digital media, business intelligence and/or quantitative data analysis. Previous industry experience is preferred, particularly in executive positions. All candidates should possess a knowledge and appreciation for design, and see the potential for design beyond the artifact. Interest in larger systems, patterns and behaviors that affect the discipline and create change is essential. We seek a forward thinking individual whose vision is toward the future and who has a comprehensive understanding of the impact of technology and globalization on these industries.
- Minimum 2 years as primary instructor with a teaching expertise is sought in some or all of the following: retail operations management and buying, digital content creation, production, supply chain management, fashion, home, or lifestyle product development and quantitative research methods.
- Ability to teach both undergraduate and graduate students through a variety of teaching modes including face-to-face, distance learning (televised and web-based), and blended
- Ability to conduct a consistent program of peer-reviewed research and/or scholarship worthy of recognition within the academy
- Ability to pursue inter-disciplinary collaborations with other Drexel academic units and with the merchandising industry
- Ability to develop graduate programming
- Advise Design & Merchandising undergraduates
- Actively participate in committee responsibilities at the program, department, college, and university levels
- Ability to cultivate and maintain national and /or international industry contacts
- Ability to communicate effectively with an ethnically and culturally diverse campus community
Supplementary Posting Information:
Drexel University’s BS in Design & Merchandising is composed of a rigorous 4-year curriculum requiring academic and co-operative educational experiences. Drexel University’s major in Design & Merchandising combines the pursuit of aesthetic excellence with a strong business foundation. The program concentrates on the retail apparel industry, product development and manufacturing, and general lifestyle design. The program has a growing enrollment of nearly 300 students. For more information about the school and the programs, please visit http://www.drexel.edu/westphal/undergraduate/DSMR/
Drexel University is ranked one of the “Best National Universities in ‘America’s Best Colleges’ for 2012” by U.S. News & World Report for the eighth consecutive year and in the top 100 for the fourth straight time. Drexel also ranked sixth among national universities in the U.S. News list of "Up-and-Comers," those schools most often cited by university administrators nationwide as making "the most promising and innovative changes in the areas of academics, faculty, student life, campus, or facilities."
With more than 8,200 employees and over 23,500 students, Drexel is the fifth largest private-sector employer in Philadelphia and has a vibrant community of students, faculty and professional staff, and encourages the richness diversity brings to the workplace. Like its students, Drexel's employees are known for being passionate, entrepreneurial and innovative.
Drexel University's mission is to serve students and society through comprehensive integrated academic offerings enhanced by technology, co-operative education, and clinical practice in an urban setting, with global outreach embracing research, scholarly activities, and community initiatives.
Drexel University offers an attractive benefits package including tuition remission, a generous retirement package with matching funds (up to 11 percent) and an opportunity to join a talented team of professionals directly helping the University achieve its record growth and quality reputation.
Background investigations are required for all new hires as a condition of employment, after the job offer is made. Employment will be contingent upon the University's acceptance of the results of the background investigation.
Drexel University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and is especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our academic community.
To apply for this position, please apply online at: www.drexeljobs.com and search for Associate or Assistant Professor of Design & Merchandising.
For more information about Drexel University, please visit www.drexel.edu.