Application & Guidelines
To be eligible to apply for the STAR Scholars Program, students must:
- Be a first-year student
- Have an interest in research and be willing to commit to 35 hours/week of research for 10 weeks over the summer while residing in campus housing (provided by STAR)
To submit a complete application, students must:
Instructions on How to Submit a Faculty Recommendation
Each applicant must obtain a recommendation from a Drexel faculty member. The most important factor in selecting a faculty member is how well they know you and are able to speak to your strengths. You should ask your faculty member if they are willing to write you a letter of recommendation and give them, at an absolute minimum, two weeks to submit your letter. This means that your application must be started in InfoReady at least two weeks prior to the deadline. To begin your application for the program:
- You can continue to enter information and complete your application at this time if you are ready to do so, or you can save as a draft and return to complete it at a later date (prior to the deadline)
When submitting information for your recommender, you will be asked the following: “Would you like to have an email notifying you that the letter is complete?” This box is already checked off; please ensure that it remains checked so that you receive a confirmation email when your recommendation has been submitted by your recommender. Please note: An application will not be considered complete without a recommendation from a Drexel faculty member.
Letters from graduate students, teaching assistants, or teachers/professors outside of Drexel University will only be considered as supplementary recommendations. Supplementary recommendations can be submitted via email to email@example.com or in hard copy to 3019 MacAlister Hall.
The STAR Scholars application for Summer 2018 will open on Monday, January 8, 2018.
- It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all elements of his/her application (including the faculty recommendation) have been submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Research prior to the deadline. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- No exceptions will be made for students who miss the deadline.
- 2018 STAR Scholars will be expected to be involved in research for the entire summer term (June 25, 2018 – September 4, 2018).
- The STAR Scholars application for Summer 2018 will open on January 8, 2018.