Application & Guidelines
To be eligible to apply for the STAR Scholars Program, students must:
- Be a freshman
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.2 or better; strong preference will be given to students with a cumulative GPA of 3.6 or better
- Have an interest in research and be willing to commit to 40 hours/week of research for 10 weeks over the summer while residing in campus housing (provided by STAR)
To submit a complete application, students must:
- Complete the online application.
- Submit a personal statement, embedded within the online application, that answers the following prompt: What past academic, personal, or professional experiences of yours have led to your interest in applying for the STAR Scholars Program? How will your participation in the STAR Scholars Program build upon those past experiences, and what benefits do you think you will derive from being a part of this program?
- Obtain a faculty recommendation from a Drexel faculty member; primary recommendations will not be accepted from teaching assistants or academic advisors. If you would like to request a recommendation from an individual who is not a Drexel faculty member, that will only serve as a supplementary recommendation. Additionally, your faculty recommender does not need to be a faculty member in your discipline, though it is helpful if it does.
- It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all elements of his/her application (including the faculty recommendation) have been submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Research prior to the deadline. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- No exceptions will be made for students who miss the deadline.
- 2015 STAR Scholars will be expected to be involved in research for the entire summer term (June 22, 2015 – September 1, 2015).
Thank you for your interest in the STAR Scholars Program. The application for the STAR Program for Summer 2015 is now closed. Decisions will be sent out to all applicants in mid-March.