Frequently Asked Questions

For additional frequently asked questions, please refer to our Freshman FAQs and Transfer FAQs.

Application Process

My first language is English. Can the TOEFL be waived for me?

Freshman Applicants

International freshman applicants whose native language is English or who attend high school in the United States are required to take the SAT or ACT. Students may choose to submit the TOEFL or IELTS in addition to the SAT or ACT.

All other international freshman applicants may take the SAT, ACT, TOEFL, or IELTS. Drexel strongly prefers that applicants submit both the SAT and either the TOEFL or IELTS; candidates who do so will be considered more competitive.

TOEFL iBT or IELTS scores are required for applicants to all Nursing programs who are born outside of the United States. To waive this requirement, you must show that before attending Drexel you will have earned a high school degree in the United States, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Ireland, or the United Kingdom. 

Transfer Applicants

If you have completed 24 or more college-level credits, including English Composition I and II, and earning a grade of C or better from a regionally accredited institution in the United States, you are not required to submit standardized test scores. Otherwise you must take either the TOEFL or IELTS and request that the results be forwarded to Admissions.

See the International Application Instructions for more information.

How does Drexel determine if I am an international student?

If you are not a U.S. citizen and are not a U.S. permanent resident (green card holder), you are an international student.

Ninth grade is in middle school in my country. Do I still need to send my ninth grade transcripts?

You are required to submit these transcripts if you are applying as a freshman. An admission decision cannot be made without these documents. 

I am an international student. What do I need to do to transfer into Drexel University?

Refer to the International Application Instructions for a list of required materials.

How can I check my application status?

You can check the status of your application by visiting the Discover Drexel Portal. You will need your Student ID and PIN to access your application information. For assistance finding your Student ID and PIN, please refer to Locate Your Student ID and PIN.

Note: Information on Discover Drexel reflects what has been processed into our system. It will not reflect materials that we have received but have not yet processed.

Where can I submit my application materials electronically?

Please refer to the International Application Instructions for detailed instructions on how to submit individual items.

Where should I mail my application materials?

Please refer to the International Application Instructions for our mailing addresses.

Scholarships and Financial Aid

How do I apply for scholarships?

Students are automatically considered for merit aid during the application review process. No additional paperwork is required. Academic scholarship decisions are based on the credentials submitted at the time of application. Students who are awarded an academic scholarship will be notified in their acceptance letter.

I cannot cover the entire cost of a Drexel education. Can I have a job on campus?

International students on an F1 visa may work on campus. However, we cannot guarantee that you will be able to find a job. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide a job assignment to you and it will be your responsibility to seek out and apply for on-campus jobs if you wish to have one.

Drexel Co-op

I am an international student and will have an F1 visa. Can I do co-op?

Yes, you are eligible to participate in the co-op program if you have an F1 visa.

Will participating in the co-op program affect my Optional Practical Training (OPT)?

If you take the One Co-op (Four Years) option, it will not affect your OPT. If you take the Three Co-op (Five Years) option, it will affect your OPT if you do all of your co-ops in the United States. For more information about this, please contact our ISSS office at: or by phone at 215-895-2502.

I am not on a student visa. I have an H4 (L2, etc.) visa. How does co-op work for me? Can I participate?

Please contact the ISSS office regarding this issue. They can be reached by email at: or by phone at 215-895-2502.