Filing Your Tax Returns
Payments made to a nonresident alien must be reported to the IRS. This is done annually for nonresident aliens who received one or all of the following:
- Independent compensation (e.g. honoraria, speaker fees, consulting)
- Dependent compensation (e.g. salary and wages)
- Non-qualified fellowship/scholarship payments
In February, the Office of Tax Compliance will mail your Form 1042-S or send an email notification (according to the method you selected on how to retrieve your electronic Form 1042-S in GLACIER™).
The Drexel Office of Tax Compliance is not permitted to provide tax services. If you are in need of tax advice, please consult a tax professional.
GLACIER™ Tax Prep Software
The Office of Tax Compliance offers a software program to assist you in preparing your tax return. As of the 2017 tax season, we will be using GLACIER™ Tax Prep (GTP), a product by Arctic International, LLC™. You can use your GLACIER™ user ID and password to access the program.
- Visit the GLACIER™ Tax Prep website for a presentation on how to use the software.
- To access GLACIER™ Tax Prep, first log in to your GLACIER™ account.
- From the main menu screen, selection the option to, "Complete my U.S. tax return using GLACIER Tax Prep."
- You will be asked to verify some basic information from your GLACIER account so that the data can be transferred to the GLACIER™ Tax Prep software.
- Select "Yes" and the data will be pre-populated.
- Review and update the information on the following screen and then select "Next".
- Check the box indicating that you understand that GLACIER™ Tax Prep will not file your income tax return electronically.
- Select "Continue to GTP".
- You will have access to prepare and print your 2017 federal income tax return. If you have used GLACIER™ Tax Prep previously, you will have access to view and print prior year returns.
GLACIER™ Tax Prep provides a FAQ and Help link on each screen in order to answer any issues or questions that may arise. These can be found at the top right of the each screen. GLACIER™ support staff will respond to any questions submitted through the Help screen.
- Information regarding where to file a State Tax Return.
- Access to GLACIER™ Tax Prep's Frequently Asked Questions and GTP Support.
- Blank tax forms from prior years starting with 2006.
GLACIER™ Tax Prep only prepares nonresident alien federal income tax returns. Resident aliens should consult the IRS website for information on how to file a tax return.