For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.

Courses and Grading

Academics for all Drexel-Sponsored Programs

If you are unsure if your program is Drexel-Sponsored, click here for the complete list of Drexel-Sponsored Programs.

For information about academics regarding non-Drexel programs, click here.   

Taking Courses Abroad

While abroad, you may decide to change your classes. If this is the case, you MUST receive approval from the appropriate Drexel department head. All classes must have a Drexel equivalent.

  • To learn how to obtain additional course approvals via e-mail, click here for the Guide to Course Approvals.  
  • All course approvals granted while abroad must be e-mailed to
  • It's extremely important to stay within the full time credit limit. 12-20 credits is full time status at Drexel. If you go above 20 credits, than you will be charged per credit accordingly. If you go below 12 credits, then you put both your financial aid and visa status in jeopardy. You are also required to stay within the credit limits of your host university. 
  • All courses taken abroad will appear on your transcript, including withdrawn or failed courses. If the course is on your host university transcript, it must appear on your Drexel transcript. 

Academic Credit, Grades, and Transcript at Drexel

Exchange Programs

When a student enrolls in a Drexel sponsored exchange program, their Drexel transcript reflects Drexel course numbers, titles and credit for the courses taken at the host university. For some programs, the Study Abroad Office maintains a list of courses at the host university that have been approved by Drexel. The lists can be found on the online brochures and are titled "Course Equivalency Spreadsheet". If the student would like to take courses that are not listed, they will need to seek Drexel department approval. For example, if the student intends to take a sociology course abroad for Drexel credit, the Sociology Department Head at Drexel must approve the course and its Drexel equivalency. 

Students are taught and graded by faculty at the host university for all Drexel sponsored exchange programs. In this case, grades are noted as "CR/NCR" on their transcript and will not affect their GPA. In order to receive CR credit students must earn the equivalent of a "C" or above at the host institution. Upon completion of the program, transcripts from the host university are sent directly to the Study Abroad Office. Processing the transcripts may take up to three months upon receipt of the transcript.

Free Standing Programs

For a majority of free standing programs available through Drexel, students must choose from a list of pre-approved courses. These courses have already been approved by Drexel and do not need further departmental approval.

The grades for Drexel free standing programs will be noted on the student's Drexel transcript and will affect their GPA. 

Independent Study Abroad Programs

When a Drexel student participates in a program not sponsored by Drexel, this is considered an Independent Study Abroad. All courses taken abroad will be listed as transfer credit on their Drexel transcript. In this situation, the academic advisor can pre-approve all courses and determine how the transfer credit will be evaluated. Transfer grades will not be reflected on their transcript and will not affect their GPA.