Academic Integrity Form and Resources
General Procedures – Academic Integrity Cases
The information below can be found in the Student Handbook
When a student is suspected of violating academic integrity standards, the faculty member will, as soon as reasonably possible, take the following actions:
- Preserve all documentation and material relevant to the case
- Consult with the department head or designee, or other if the reporter is the department head.
- Notify the student of the suspected infraction and the faculty member’s intention to submit a complaint, and seek the student’s explanation.
- Undertake any further investigation the faculty member considers appropriate, and initially determine whether a violation of the Academic integrity policy has occurred.
- a. If the student agrees a violation has occurred, the faculty member will inform the department head or designee, program director, or equivalent administrator (hereafter referred to as department head) offering the course of the alleged violation, and the infraction will be referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards with an appropriate sanction.
b. If the student disagrees that a violation has occurred, the faculty member will require the student to meet with the department head who will make a final determination whether a violation of the Academic Integrity policy has occurred.
- If, based on the information presented by the faculty member, the student, and with the results of any further investigation the department head may undertake, the department head agrees that an academic integrity infraction has occurred, the department head and faculty member will determine the appropriate sanctions and inform the student of their decision. The infraction will be referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards with an appropriate sanction.
Any Academic Integrity violation beyond a first offense is subject to the sanctions determined by the academic department as well as to disciplinary sanctions that may be imposed through the University conduct process as administered through the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards. These sanctions may include suspension or expulsion from the University and are subject to an appeal process described in the Student Handbook.
All cases of academic dishonesty will be communicated to the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards. Interpretation of this information as it relates to alleged violations of the Drexel University Academic Integrity policy are left to the discretion of the faculty member, department head, dean of the college, and Provost. Students are strongly encouraged to request that the faculty member specify his/her individual expectations prior to the commencing of projects and/or assignments. Consultation and advice are available through the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards.