Student Life Graduate Internships
Student Life Intern (NODA) - 3 available
The Office of New Student and Family Programs’ (NSFP) mission is to provide quality programs and services that enhance the first year experience at Drexel University. Through strategic partnerships with family members and key university stakeholders, the office works to support the matriculation, transition, and retention of all new, undergraduate students.
Student Life Interns play an important role in carrying out the mission of fostering learning in development by working collaboratively with other interns, students, professional staff, faculty members, and administrators. Three Student Life Internships are available which provide current graduate students the opportunity to explore several Student Life functional areas while working with orientation, transition and retention programs. Each intern works as part of the Campus Engagement (OCE) team, sits on the Orientation work group, supervises and provides guidance to Orientation staff members, coordinates Orientation Leader (OL) training, supports several major OCE events, plans and facilitates one workshop during Summer Orientation and manages one major function of New Student Orientation (NSO), including:
- Orientation Programs and Student Recruitment: Work with the Office of New Student and Family Programs (NSFP) to manage the Orientation registration and check-in processes, including collaboration with various campus offices to prepare for new students and families to arrive on campus for Orientation. Work with the Office of New Student and Family Programs (NSFP) to manage the Student Organization Fair and Dragons After Dark events during Summer Orientation. Work with the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life (FSL) to plan and facilitate the training and advising of FSL Ambassadors, Panhellenic Council Recruitment Counselors and other student organization officers providing them with recruitment advising and support. Coordinate Welcome Week and Family Weekend Logistics with a team of Welcome Advisory Board members. Supervise and advise co-op and student coordinators in various tasks.
- Commuter, Transfer Student and Family Engagement: Work with the Office of Commuter and Transfer Student Engagement (CTSE) to plan Transfer Student Orientation and lay the foundation for Commuter Connection Day in the fall term. Support commuter and transfer student engagement events throughout the internship and provide guidance to Orientation Leaders and WAB throughout the internship. Coordinate the family program events and have a hand in planning Family Weekend activities that would cater best to Drexel’s parent/family population. Supervise and advise co-op and student coordinators in various tasks.
- Orientation Leader and Welcome Advisory Board Development: Work with various campus partners and Student Life staff to coordinate orientation leader/ welcome advisory board training. Coordinate scheduling, on call responsibilities and other duties as assigned for orientation leaders during sessions and off days. Facilitate weekly check-ins with orientation leaders and welcome advisory board members. Supervise and advise orientation leaders during Orientation sessions. Facilitate staff development activities for orientation leaders and welcome advisory board members.
Professional Development Opportunities
Professional development is one of the most important aspects of the Drexel Student Life Graduate Internship program. Interns not only learn through hands-on experiences within their positions but are offered a number of other opportunities to learn more about Student Life and higher education, including:
Lunch and Learn Workshop Series
Lunch and Learn workshops are held weekly throughout the summer for all interns and are presented by professional staff and faculty from across the University on a variety of topics that are based on the interest of the intern staff. Past topics have included:
- Changing functional areas within Student Life
- Disability services
- Job searching techniques
- International student trends
- Leadership development
- Legal issues in higher education
- Mental health and counseling trends
- Veteran student needs
Graduate interns have many opportunities through their various positions to gain presentation experience, whether through recruitment training for fraternities and sororities or workshops for parents and families through orientation. Additionally, graduate interns are encouraged to present professional development presentations within their staff to not only gain experience developing and presenting professional presentations but also to share their knowledge with professional staff at all levels.
Career Advice and Resume Review
Graduate interns have numerous opportunities to meet with professional staff from across Student Life and the University. These opportunities may be used to discuss career paths or as an opportunity for resume reviews. Some staff teams offer a formalized resume review opportunity during the internship experience for all graduate and professional staff.
Graduate interns are invited to attend all Student Life staff development opportunities throughout the summer along with professional staff, including those at Student Life Management Team meetings and others. Past topics have included social media,
Student Life Summer Graduate Internship Alumni
Below is a listing of some of the graduate students who have held various graduate internship roles in New Student Orientation, Fraternity and Sorority Life and Student Leadership Development and Traditions as well as their graduate institutions and current professional roles.
- Sarah Alspaw (Western Carolina University '11) – Assistant Director of Career Services and Graduate Student Support, Capitol Technology University
- Justin Andrade (Drexel University ’13) – LGBTQ+ Services Program Coordinator, University of Central Florida
- Alfonso Ayala III (University of Nevada-Las Vegas ’12) – Assistant Director for High Ability Recruitment, University of Nevada-Las Vegas
- Margaret Bertram (University of Connecticut ‘10) – SAssociate Director of Training and Education, Active Minds Inc.
- Robert Braswell (Illinois State University '11) – Residence Hall Coordinator, Illinois State University
- Alex Brown (University of Wisconsin-La Crosse ‘10) – Fraternity and Sorority Life and Student Association Adviser, University of Wisconsin-La Crosse
- Joan Collier (University of Georgia '09) – Doctoral Intern - University Housing, University of Georgia
- Kendra Darigan (University of Connecticut ’09) – Program Coordinator, ATI Nursing
- Blaire Gershenson (Iowa State University '13) – Quality Improvement Coordinator, EmblemHealth
- Sara Jacques (University of Delaware '10) - Assistant Director of Career Services, Stevenson University
- Ashley Jones (James Madison University ’12) – Assistant Director/Resident Director, Drexel University
- Melissa Lyon (James Madison University '15)
- Taylor Mahanna (Northeastern University '12) – Assistant Director for Greek Life, Case Western Reserve University
- Casey McCloskey (Bloomsburg University ’13)- Admissions Representative, DirectLearningSystems
- Brittany McGarry (Appalachian State University '13) – Assistant Director of Student Involvement and Leadership, Johnson & Wales University-Denver
- Laura Murnen (Grand Valley State University '15)
- Gordon Palmer (Miami University, Ohio ’13) – Graduate Research Assistant, University of Michigan
- Joseph Peltzer (James Madison University ’10) – Law Student, Drexel University
- Ian Prieto (Miami University, Ohio ’12)
- Severino Randazzo (University of Massachusetts-Amherst ‘14)- Residence Hall Director, University of Connecticut
- Ashley Robinson (University of Maine '12) – Residence Hall Director, University of Connecticut
- Amber Rucker (University of Missouri-Kansas City '11) – Residence Hall Coordinator, Illinois State University
- Ethan Stubbs (University of Kentucky ‘13) – Greek House Director, University of Kentucky
- Joseph Thompson (Rutgers University ’11) – Assistant Director of Student Development, Richard Stockton College of New Jersey
- Karmen Vrooman (Grand Valley State University ’14)- Membership Growth Specialist, Alpha Gamma Delta Sorority
- Chelsea Wheeler (Indiana University '15)