Orientation Staff Recruitment and Selection
2014 Orientation Coordinator Position
OC Selection Process Timeline (Co-op A-Round):
|Round 1: Written Reflections
||Thursday, November 21 - Monday, December 2, 2013
|Round 2: Individual Interviews
||Thursday, December 5 - Tuesday, December 10, 2013
||Wednesday, January 1 - Tuesday, January 7, 2014
|Hiring Results Available
||Wednesday, January 15, 2014
|Dates of Employment
||Monday, March 31 - Friday, September 19, 2014
Part-time, non co-op OC positions (Production Coordinators) are also available on a rolling application schedule.
The Office of New Student and Family Programs’ (NSFP) mission is to provide quality programs and services that enhance the first year experience at Drexel University. Through strategic partnerships with family members and key university stakeholders, the office works to support the matriculation, transition, and retention of all new, undergraduate students.
Orientation Coordinators (OCs) serve in a leadership capacity on the New Student Orientation (NSO) staff and are charged with serving as mentors to Orientation Leaders (OLs) while coordinating several administrative aspects involved in the planning and execution of the New Student Orientation (NSO) and New Student Days (NSD) programs.
Duties include: sitting on the Orientation Planning Committee; coordinating critical functional areas in the Office of New Student and Family Programs (NSFP); planning staff development and recognition; serving on an on-call duty rotation; and supporting the sustainability of the NSO Program. Other duties include, but are not limited to lifting and transporting boxes, answering questions from new students and family members, and interacting with high level University administrators.
OCs represent not only themselves, but the entire Orientation staff, Student Affairs, and Drexel University as a whole. As a result, those hired to the position will be held to a high standard in respect to their conduct on and off the job.
Qualifications and Experience
Orientation Coordinators (OCs) serve as mentors, guides, and role models to not only new students and families, but also Orientation Leaders (OLs). The ideal candidate will possess the following preferred qualifications:
Further, the OC position requires the following minimum qualifications:
- Past experience as a student leader (Orientation/Peer Leader, Resident/Commuter/Transfer Assistant, Student Organization Officer, etc.).
- An ability to be a role model and guide others in their transition to a new environment.
- A belief that she or he can make a positive difference in others’ lives.
- A willingness to be creative, take initiative, and utilize mistakes as an opportunity to grow.
- An awareness that actively involves others and creates a supportive atmosphere for a diverse audience.
- An ability to recognize the contributions of individuals to the success of the team.
- Completed one full year of academic study at Drexel University by end of Winter 2014.
- A 2.5 cumulative grade point average or above throughout the term of employment.
- May not be enrolled in summer courses or hold an outside job that would interfere with the position.
- Co-ops must be available for full-time employment between Monday, March 31 and Friday, September 19, 2014. Exceptions may only be negotiated before employment.
- Ability to work long hours, early mornings, and late nights.
The Orientation Coordinator (OC) position is an hourly, at will, temporary position paying $10.00 an hour (pre-tax).
- Co-ops work full time (40 hours/week) Monday – Friday, 9 AM – 5 PM.
- Production Coordinators work part time (20 – 30 hours/week) on varying work schedules.
Housing in one double-occupancy room in an on-campus residence hall is provided while Orientation is in session (Saturday 6/15 through Saturday 8/9).
- Co-ops receive extended housing through Sunday 9/7 if needed. Please note that it is likely that the housing assignment will change on Saturday 8/9.
- Production Coordinators may extend their housing through Sunday 9/7 by working as a weekend desk attendant with Drexel Conference Services.
Meals are provided during Orientation sessions only; approximately 10 meals per week between Monday 7/7 and Friday 8/8.
Networking with Student Affairs professional staff members and Student Affairs Graduate Interns who can serve as mentors to OCs considering a career in Student Affairs/Higher Education.
Please contact Carlos Guillen, Director of New Student and Family Programs for more information about the OC position.
Telephone: (215) 895-6221
Past Orientation Coordinators
* Co-op Position
||Coordinator Names & Titles
||Aimee Wardle, New Student Programs Coordinator*
Ryan Pratt, Family Programs Coordinator*
Taylor Grimes, Production Coordinator
Brett Axler, Production Coordinator
Neddie Obi, Production Coordinator for Videography
||Kelsey Dale, Logistics Coordinator*
Melissa Reilly, Family Programs Coordinator
Greg Swan, New Student Programs Coordinator
Dan Szwerc, Production Coordinator for Videography