For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.

H1B Temporary Employees

  • Drexel University will not file H-1B visa petitions for part-time positions, including adjuncts.
  • Applicant must be an employee of Drexel University or Drexel University College of Medicine (the H-1B is employer-specific).
  • Applicant must be paid "prevailing wage", per a Department of Labor determination.
  • A bachelor’s degree is required and formal education must relate to position.
  • H-1B status is initially granted for a maximum period of three years and can be extended to a total of six years.
  • Application fee and one time fraud fee must be paid for by hiring department. Premium processing fee can be paid for by department or employee.
  • If the person selected for the position currently holds a J-1 or J-2 visa, or was previously in J-1 or J-2 visa status and is subject to section 212(e) (2-year home residency requirement), this person cannot begin employment on an H-1B visa until he/she has received a waiver of section 212(e) from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service.
  • All foreign credentials (i.e., diplomas, academic transcripts) must be evaluated by a “Foreign Credentials Evaluator”. If deemed necessary, ISSS will send credentials to evaluator. Cost on average: $85 standard 10-day evaluation, $140 next day evaluation.
  • ISSS must petition USCIS for approval.
  • Requires 2-3 month processing time before submission to USCIS.

H-1B petitions are not always approved and hiring departments must be prepared for this. The department may be required to prove that the industry standard requirement for the position is a Bachelor's degree, and, if other people in the same department have the same or similar position, the department must be prepared to show that the people in those positions also possess a Bachelor's degree.

If ISSS finds that a case may be difficult to prove, an outside immigration attorney will be consulted at the department’s expense.

Click here for instructions and forms.