For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.

Hiring Foreign Nationals

When hiring foreign nationals, hiring units should contact International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) as early in the hiring process as possible. Having the answers to the following questions will facilitate the immigration process:

  • Is Foreign National currently in the United States? If yes, which visa status do they currently hold?
  • Type of position you wish to offer? 
  • Expected starting date of appointment?
  • Foreign national’s country of citizenship?
  • Does the foreign national plan to travel abroad at any time in the near future?  (This will affect both visa timing and procedure) 

There are many visa types in which a foreign national can come to Drexel to work, give lectures, or do research.  The majority of Drexel foreign nationals are hired on an H1B or J1 visa.  ISSS will work with you to determine the appropriate visa category.

B1/B2 - Used for persons invited to give lectures

H1B -Must be a FTE and salary must meet prevailing wage

J1 - Available to visiting scholars, postdoctoral fellows, visiting and temporary faculty and research staff

O1 - This O1 visa category is reserved for those individuals who have risen to the very top of their fields of endeavor and can provide documentary evidence to substantiate this claim

Permanent Residency- Tenure-track faculty and certain research positions

Students on Optional Practical Training (OPT) - Limited to one year after first degree in U.S.; may have an additional year after second degree in U.S. if it is at a higher level

TN (Trade NAFTA for Mexican and Canadian Citizens) - Employment for Canadian and Mexican citizens in certain fields

WB/WT- Used for persons invited to give lectures