Deanna Hill, J.D., Ph.D.
Assistant Clinical Professor and Program Director, Higher Education
M.S., Higher Education
Ph.D., University of Pittsburgh, School of Education
J.D., B.A., and Certificate in African Studies, University of Iowa
Areas of Expertise:
- Higher education
- International education
- Education law
- Education policy
- Education law and politics
- Access and equity
- Critical Race Theory
- Global and international education
- West Wind Education Policy, Inc.
- HighPoints Learning, Inc.
- Georgia Department of Education
- Center on Education Policy
- University of Pittsburgh
- RAND Corporation
- Clark, Thomas, & Winters, P.C.
- Hill, D., Stumbo, C. & Hansen, D. (2011). The Teacher Performance Assessment Consortium: Policy considerations for participating states. Washington, DC: Council of Chief State School Officers.
- Hill, D., Stumbo, C., Paliokas, K, Hansen, D., & McWalters, P. (2010, July). State policy implications of the Model Core Teaching Standards. Washington, DC: Council of Chief State School Officers.
- Minnici, A. & Hill, D. (2007, September). Engaging in the struggle of educating for democracy. Teaching Education, 18(3), pp. 201-215. New York, NY: Taylor & Francis/Routledge.
- Hill, D. (2007, July 19). School district perspectives on state capacity (supplement to Educational architects: Do state education agencies have the tools necessary to implement NCLB? A report in the series From the capital to the classroom: Year 5 of the No Child Left Behind Act). Washington, D.C.: Center on Education Policy.
- Minnici, A., & Hill, D. (2007, May 9). Educational architects: Do state education agencies have the tools necessary to implement NCLB? A report in the series From the capital to the classroom: Year 5 of the No Child Left Behind Act. Washington, D.C.: Center on Education Policy.
- Hill, D. (2005). Review of the book “Turning back: The retreat from racial justice in American thought and policy.” Educational Studies, 38(2). San Francisco, CA: Caddo Gap Press.
- Gill, B., Hamilton, L.S., Lockwood, J.R., Marsh, J., Zimmer, R., Hill, D., & Pribesh, S. (2005). Inspiration, perspiration, and time: Operations and achievement in Edison Schools. Santa Barbara, CA: RAND Corporation.
- Gill, B., Hamilton, L.S., Lockwood, J.R., Marsh, J., Zimmer, R., Hill, D., & Pribesh, S. (2004). A decade of entrepreneurship in education: A look at Edison Schools’ improvement strategies and their effect on student achievement. Santa Barbara, CA: RAND Corporation.
- Gill, B., Christina, R., Clothey, R., & Hill, D. (2003, September). Student performance in the Pittsburgh Public Schools. Santa Barbara, CA: RAND Corporation.
- Hill, D., Stumbo, C. & Riggan, B. (2012, April). Measuring what we value: Racial equity and educator evaluation. American Educational Research Association, Vancouver, B.C.
- Hill, D. (2011, April). Discussant, Collaborating to improve teacher quality: Insights, challenges and opportunities. American Educational Research Association, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Hill, D. & Stumbo, C. (2010, April). Colorblindness par excellence in the Obama era: Towards a color conscious approach to ESEA. Fourth Annual Critical Race Studies in Education Conference. Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Stumbo, C. & Hill, D. (2009, November). Problematizing achievement gaps: Recommendations for the National Assessment Governing Board (invited presentation for the Reporting and Dissemination Committee). Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Hill, D. (2009, August). Eliminating racial micro-aggressions. Unleashing Knowledge and Innovation for the Next Generation of Learning Summit. Tamaya, New Mexico.
- Hill, D. (2009, April). Commentator, “The time is now: Examining the leaking education pipeline through a CRT perspective.” CRT 20: Honoring Our Past, Charting Our Future. University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa.