For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.


I can't find the type of job where I'd like to work in the country I am interested in. What should I do?

Talk to your co-op coordinator about your specific interests for more information.

I want to do an international co-op, but I’m afraid I can’t afford it. What should I do?

Start by researching the cost of living in the city/country that you are interested in pursuing. Often, living expenses abroad are less than living expenses in Philadelphia.

Check out this resource for cost of living information.

All students who are approved for an international co-op are considered for a financial award from Steinbright, to help with the cost.

How can I find information about housing abroad?

If you have secured a job abroad, check with your co-op employer for any tips on how to secure housing. Check out area colleges and universities in the specific location to get information about student housing in the area.

When I co-op abroad, how can I get out of my lease or housing agreement?

If you live on-campus and secure a co-op position which is located more than 10 miles from Drexel’s campus, you are able to get out of your housing agreement.

If you live off-campus and have a lease, talk to your landlord about your options. Look into sub-letting your apartment to another student or friend for the time period you will be away on co-op.

My parent/guardian has concerns about me working abroad. How can they get the information they need?

It is understandable that parents or guardians may have questions about you working in another country. The best thing that you can do is provide them with as much information about your proposed co-op experience as possible. Do some research on the country and what it is like to live there. Guide your parents to review the information regarding international co-op on this website and/or encourage them to email their questions to

See the Information for Parents/Guardians page.

How is international co-op different from study abroad? Can I do both?

The main difference is that with international co-op, you will be working, whereas study abroad generally just includes studying. Typically, students study abroad with a group of other Drexel students. There are some international co-op opportunities that involve a group of students, however, the majority are independent experiences.

There are a few programs which offer a study + co-op option. This is a great way to settle in first by studying in the country, and it is often easier to search for a job once you are already in country. Check out Drexel Study Abroad’s website for more information on these programs.

I have a good job offer in Philadelphia. Why should I pass that up to go abroad?

Securing a co-op job abroad can provide you with a distinct advantage in the global economy. By living and working abroad, students will better understand the interdependency of countries and will have a first-hand look at the ever-evolving global economic landscape. Students who choose an international co-op placement will enhance their employability, gain an international perspective in their field, heighten their understanding of the world, and broaden their cultural knowledge.

What are the qualifications for international co-op?

To be eligible to participate in Drexel University's International Co-op program, students must:

  • Attend Drexel full-time
  • Be in good academic standing (a minimum GPA of 2.0)
  • Have successfully completed at least one co-op experience with an acceptable or above average evaluation or in lieu of a co-op experience, equivalent prior work experience will be considered and evaluated
  • Other requirements include foreign language proficiency (depending on country), and a personal interview with an International Co-op Team member.