Requirements for University Recommendation and Application
The deadline for applying for the University Recommendation is February 3, 2017 for students who are planning to matriculate into medical, dental or veterinary school in 2018.
The Application for the University Recommendation for the 2018 application process will be available on this page in October 2016. You may email any questions to Mary Beth Davis, the Drexel Prehealth Advisor.
University Health Professions Committee
Eligibility for University Recommendation
- Currently enrolled as an undergraduate student seeking a bachelor's degree.
- Alumnus/a with a bachelor's degree earned at Drexel and who have completed prerequisite science courses at Drexel.
Submit a completed application for review by the Committee to the Prehealth advisor by Friday February 3, 2017. Decisions are made after the deadline as opposed to a rolling review process.
Profile of the ideal candidate for a University Recommendation at the highest level
- BCPM Index (composed of all biology, chemistry, physics and math courses taken at Drexel and any other school) of 3.5 or higher
- Minimum of one year of volunteer service in a healthcare environment with direct patient contact
- Service to the general community
- Participation in the co-op program
- Research experience
- Demonstrated leadership ability from on-campus or off-campus activities
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
What if I do not have a BCPM Index of 3.5?
You are still encouraged to complete the application if your record is close to 3.5 or if there are special circumstances affecting your academic performance. The BCPM Index of 3.5 is not an absolute requirement.
Are there a minimum number of hours required in a healthcare environment?
No. The Committee and medical schools are looking for a sustained commitment over a period of time. We believe that one year is a bare minimum because of the need to have a realistic picture of a career in a health profession.
What happens next if I am approved for a University Recommendation?
You will be assigned to three members of the Committee for a one-on-one interview. The purpose of these interviews is twofold: to assess your appropriateness for a career in the health professions (maturity, intellectual ability, communication skills); and, to prepare you for the interview at the health profession school.
Are there levels of recommendation from the Committee?
Yes. There are four levels: highest, highly, recommend and present for consideration.
What if I have more questions or concerns?
Schedule a meeting with the Prehealth advisor.