The Climbing Wall program offers classes that cover introductory through advanced skills. No matter what your level of skill or experience is, there is an option for you to reach new heights! No experience is required and all equipment is provided. All you have to do is sign up!
Beginner: Try-A-Climb Classes
If you have never climbed before and are interested in trying something new, then coming to the Climbing Wall is the right thing to do! Try-a-climb offers a free introduction to climbing where participants will learn how to put on a harness and practice climbing. Try-a-climbs are offered every hour, on the hour. To guarantee your place, please reserve a time by calling or stopping by the Climbing Wall in advance.
Beginner: Belay & boulder class
If you want to learn more than what the Try-a-climb offers, we offer the Belay & Boulder class six times a week. The Belay & Boulder class teaches participants the skills required to climb and boulder independent of an instructor in a top rope setting. At the end of the course members will have the necessary skills to complete the Belay & Boulder Certification. No experience is necessary and all equipment is provided.
- An understanding of the risks and benefits involved in the sport of rock climbing.
- How to identify and properly use basic climbing equipment including a harness, locking carabiner, tubular style belay device, ground anchor, etc.
- How to tie a figure eight retrace knot.
- Climbing safety procedures including checks and belay commands.
- The principles and techniques of belaying.
- How climbing routes are graded (to determine the difficulty of a climb)
Schedule of Weekly Classes:
- Monday through Friday: 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM
- Saturday: 3:00 PM – 5:00 PM (Not offered during the Summer)
Free for all students, members, and the community.
If you are interested in scheduling a class that better fits your schedule, please contact email@example.com.
In order to belay at the Recreation Center, members must first pass a belay test demonstrating competency in applying a harness, tying a figure-eight retrace knot, and belaying.
Seasoned climbers may request to be belay certified during open climbing hours. Note: Climbing wall staff may not always be available to belay.
- Top Rope Belay Certification: A demonstration of belaying competency is required in order to belay. People who do not know how to belay are encouraged to enroll in our Learn to
Climb Class or schedule a Private Climbing Class to learn to belay. Certification is free of charge to members.
- Lead Climbing Belaying Certification: A demonstration of competency is required in order to lead climb and belay. Certification is free of charge to members.