Associate Research Professor
Curriculum Vitae: Curriculum Vitae (PDF)
- BS, Human Development, Cornell University, 2001
- MS, Clinical Psychology, Drexel University, 2006
- PhD, Clinical Psychology, Drexel University, 2006
Meghan Butryn, PhD, is a Research Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychology and a licensed clinical psychologist. Her research interests and expertise lie in the areas of obesity and eating disorders treatment and prevention. She is especially interested in behavioral interventions and acceptance and commitment therapy. Butryn is currently funded by the National Institutes of Health as an investigator for several research projects, including Acceptance-Based Behavioral Treatment: An Innovative Weight Control Intervention; Prevention of Obesity at Universities: A Randomized Trial; A Test of Nutritional Interventions to Enhance Weight Loss Maintenance; and Eating Disorders Prevention: An Effectiveness Trial for At-Risk College Students. She has also published numerous articles and chapters in publications such as Obesity, Behavior Research and Therapy, and the Journal of Abnormal Psychology.
- Butryn, M.L., Forman, E.F., Hoffman, K.L., Shaw, J., & Juarascio, A. (in press). A pilot study of acceptance and commitment therapy for promotion of physical activity. Journal of Physical Activity and Health.
- Thomas, J.G., Butryn M.L., Stice, E., & Lowe, M.R. (in press). A prospective study of weight change and bulimia nervosa onset. International Journal of Eating Disorders.
- Lowe, M.R., Tappe, K., Butryn, M.L., Annunziato, R.A., Coletta, M., Ochner, C., & Rolls, B.J. (2010). Nutrition-focused interventions for weight gain prevention in worksite cafeterias. Eating Behaviors,11, 144-151.
- Neeren, A.M., Butryn, M.L., Lowe, M.R., O’Planick, A.P., Bunnell, D.W., & Ice, S.M. (in press). (2010). Does attrition during follow-up bias outcome data in studies of eating disorders? Eating Behaviors, 11, 40-44.
- Butryn, M.L., Thomas, J.G., & Lowe, M.R. (2009). Reductions in internal disinhibition during weight loss predict better weight loss maintenance. Obesity, 17, 1101-1103.
- Fabricatore, A.N., Wadden, T.A, Moore, R.H., Butryn, M.L., Gravallese, E.A., Erondu, N.E., Heymsfield, S.B., & Nguyen, A. (2009). Attrition from randomized controlled trials of pharmacological weight loss agents: A systematic review and analysis. Obesity Reviews, 10, 333-341.
- Fabricatore, A.N., Wadden, T.A, Moore, R.H., Butryn, M.L., Heymsfield, S.B., & Nguyen, A. (2009). Predictors of attrition and weight loss success: Results from a randomized controlled trial. Behavior Research and Therapy, 47, 685-691.
- Forman, E.F., Butryn, M.L., Hoffman, K.L., & Herbert, J. (2009). An open trial of an acceptance-based behavioral intervention for weight loss. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice, 16, 223-235.
- Lowe, M.R., Butryn, M.L., Didie, E.R., Annunziato, R.A., Thomas, J.G, Crerand, C., Ochner, C., Coletta, M., Bellace, D., Wallaert, M., & Halford, J. (2009). The Power of Food Scale: A new measure of the psychological influence of the food environment. Appetite, 53, 114-118.
- Raynor, H.A., van Whalen, E., Niemeier, H., Butryn, M.L., & Wing, R.R. (2009). Using food packaged in single servings reduces intake during a weight loss intervention. Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 109, 1922-1925.
- Butryn, M.L., & Lowe, M.R. (2008). Dieting: Good or bad? In J.G. Golson & K. Keller (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Obesity (pp. 184-187). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Markowitz, J.T., Butryn, M.L., & Lowe, M.R. (2008). Perceived deprivation,restrained eating and susceptibility to weight gain. Appetite, 51, 720-722.
- Thompson, K.L., & Butryn, M.L. (2008). Hypertension in children. In J.G. Golson & K. Keller (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Obesity (pp. 378-379). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Butryn, M.L., Phelan, S., Hill, J.O., & Wing, R.R. (2007). Consistent self-monitoring of weight: A key component of successful weight loss maintenance. Obesity, 15, 3091-3096.
- Butryn, M.L., Phelan, S., & Wing, R.R. (2007). Self-guided approaches to weight loss. In J. Latner & G.T. Wilson (Eds.), Self-help approaches for obesity and eating disorders (pp. 3-20). New York: Guilford.
- Collins, C.A., Butryn, M.L., & Jennings, E. (2007). Use of readiness for change in cardiac rehabilitation programs. In W. Kraus & S. Keteyian (Eds.), Current concepts in cardiology (pp. 67-76). Totowa, NJ: Humana.
- Lowe, M.R., & Butryn, M.L. (2007). Hedonic hunger: A new dimension of appetite? Physiology and Behavior, 91, 432-439.
- Lowe, M.R., Thomas, J.G., Safer, D.L., & Butryn, M.L. (2007). The relationship of weight suppression and dietary restraint to binge eating in bulimia nervosa. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 40, 640-644.
- Phelan, S., Butryn, M.L., & Wing, R.R. (2007). Obesity prevention during adulthood. In S. Kumanyika & R.C. Brownson (Eds.), Handbook of obesity prevention (pp. 489-514). New York: Springer.
- Stice, E., Burton, E., Lowe, M.R., & Butryn, M.L. (2007). Relation of dieting to eating pathology. In T. Jaffa & B. McDermott (Eds.), Eating disorders in children and adolescent (pp. 45-56). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University.
- Wadden, T.A., Butryn, M.L., & Wilson, C. (2007). Lifestyle modification for the management of obesity. Gastroenterology, 132, 2226-2238.
- Butryn, M.L., Lowe, M.R., Agras, W.S., & Safer, D.L. (2006). Weight suppression as a predictor of outcome during cognitive-behavioral treatment of bulimia nervosa. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 115, 62-67.
- Lowe, M.R., Davis, W., Lucks, D., Annunziato, R.A., & Butryn, M.L. (2006). Weight suppression predicts weight gain during inpatient treatment of bulimia nervosa. Physiology and Behavior, 87, 487-492.
- Wadden, T.A., Butryn, M.L., Sarwer, D.B., Fabricatore, A., Crerand, C., Lipschutz, P., et al. (2006). Comparison of psychosocial status in treatment seeking women with class III vs. class I-II obesity. Obesity Research, 14, 90S-98S.
- Butryn, M.L., & Wadden, T.A. (2005). Treatment of overweight in children and adolescents: Does dieting increase the risk of eating disorders? International Journal of Eating Disorders, 37, 285-293.
- Wadden, T.A., Butryn, M.L., & Byrne, K.J. (2004). Efficacy of lifestyle management for long-term weight control. Obesity Research, 12, 151S-162S.
- Wadden, T.A., & Butryn, M.L. (2003). Behavioral treatment for obesity. Endocrinology and Metabolism Clinics of North America, 32, 981-1003.