All employees are entitled to perform their work, regardless of location, whether on the University's premises or elsewhere, free from violence. Workplace violence will not be tolerated. Any employee who commits an act of workplace violence at work against a person or property will face corrective action up to and including termination of employment. Where appropriate, the matter will be referred to legal authorities for prosecution.
This policy applies to all faculty, professional, administrative, research and support staff.
Workplace violence is any act against the employer and employees that takes place on the Drexel campus, is committed by persons either who have or do not have an employment-related connection with the University, and involves:
- physical acts against persons or University property, or
- verbal threats, or vicious statements that are meant to harm or cause a hostile environment, or
- written threats, vicious cartoons or notes, and other written conduct of intense distortion that is meant to threaten or create a hostile environment, or
- visual acts that are threatening or intended to convey the threat of injury or hostility.
A. To eliminate workplace violence it is every employee's duty to:
- Understand what violence is;
- Understand themselves, including their attitudes, motivations, and decision-making styles so that they will not resort to violence;
Follow prescribed security measures;
- Report to any supervisor or to the Director of Safety any person who threatens or commits workplace violence.
B. Employees are expected to report any act of violence or threat of violence, and should bring their concerns directly to the attention of their immediate supervisors or the Human Resources Department.
C. Any threat of workplace violence shall be investigated.
Any employee who takes any reprisal, regardless of the magnitude of the reprisal, against a person who reports any threat of workplace violence shall be subject to immediate discipline, up to and including termination of employment.