Week of Undergraduate Excellence Video Contest
Video submission opens: Monday, February 26, 2018
Video submission deadline: Friday, April 27, 2018
The Week of Undergraduate Excellence seeks to highlight and celebrate undergraduate excellence and accomplishments in research, scholarship, and creative work across the University. All undergraduate students are invited to create and submit a video describing the work that they do and how it showcases excellence. This can include but is not limited to, research, scholarly work, creative projects, volunteer work, and co-op.
Videos submissions will be available for viewing online in the week leading up to and during the 2018 Week of Undergraduate Excellence (May 14-18, 2018). During this time, members of the Drexel community will have the opportunity to vote for their favorite video. The winning project(s) will be will be selected by a combination of the most votes and feedback from the Selection Committee. The Selection Committee will be composed of professional staff and students.
Winners will be announced at the closing celebration for the Week of Undergraduate Excellence on Friday, May 18.
The First Place winner will receive an iPad Mini 4 (32GB with Wi-fi). The Second Place winner will receive an Amazon Echo. The Third Place winner will receive a Drexel Sweatshirt Blanket.
- Length: Videos should be no more than 1 minute in length.
- Theme: The video should explain your work and its importance to a non-expert, general audience.
- Content: Highlight your personal accomplishments in research, scholarship, and creative work, and how it showcases excellence. There are no limitations to how the content of the video is presented. Entrants are encouraged to be creative with the content and the presentation of the content of their video.
- Integrity: Video content must be original (i.e. not copied from any other source in whole or in part) and cannot contain copyrighted or trademarked materials. Videos cannot include lewd, obscene, sexually explicit, pornographic, disparaging, defamatory, libelous, or otherwise inappropriate or objectionable material, as determined by Drexel in its sole discretion. Drexel reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any video submission that it believes violates or potentially violates any of the foregoing requirements or otherwise fails to comply with any provision of the Official Rules or any applicable University policy.
How to submit:
- Upload your video to YouTube or Vimeo
- Make it available for public viewing
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, year, major and a link to your uploaded video.
- If the content of your video is based on research done at Drexel University under a faculty mentor, have your faculty mentor fill out this form to provide permission for you to share your research.
Deadline for submitting videos is Friday, April 27, 2018 at 5:00 PM.
Contest Timeline & Voting:
- Friday, April 27 – Video submission deadline
- Monday, May 7 – Online voting begins
- Wednesday, May 16 – Online voting ends
- Friday, May 18 – Results announced at the closing celebration for the Week of Undergraduate Excellence on Friday, May 18.
- Is there a limit to the number of submissions I can make? There is no submission limit.
- Who’s on the Committee? Will that be announced? The Selection Committee will be composed of some of the members of the College leadership team, along with students from the Office of Undergraduate Research’s Undergraduate Research Leaders group. This Committee has not been appointed yet. The Committee will be announced once it is formed.
- Will there be tax implications for winners? Yes, there may be tax implications for winners who receive prizes for willing may be obligated to pay taxes on these prizes.
- When the contest winners are selected on May 18, the winners of the first and second prize must complete the Drexel University Gift, Gift Card/Certificate Acceptance Agreement Form which is included as Exhibit B as part of the Drexel University Policy: Gifts, Gift Cards and Gift Certificates.The following is the link to the Policy: http://drexel.edu/treasurer/policies/overview/giftcardpolicy/.The completed and signed forms for the first and second place winners should be sent to the applicable department based on the information above and as stated in the University Policy. Students will be required to fill out tax forms in order to process payment and a check will be mailed to your listed address.
4. Who owns the rights to the videos Drexel or the individual? Drexel will own the rights to the videos.
5. Who can vote? Members of the Drexel community. We reserve the right to disqualify contestants should we discover that votes have been obtained in a dishonest way (i.e., buying votes).