For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.

Frequently Asked Questions

When do I go to ODR?

You should come to ODR any time you would like to request accommodations based on a disability, have a question about your accommodations, feel like one of your accommodations was not provided accurately, want to give us an update on how your term is going, or would like to discuss strategies for succeeding as a person with a disability at Drexel and in the career world.
ODR is here to help, but we need you to keep us informed!

How do my professors find out about my accommodations?

In order to use any accommodations in your classes it is your responsibility to provide each of your professors and TAs with a copy of your Accommodation Verification Letter (AVL) at the beginning of each term. At this time you can discuss how you will receive your accommodations (ie: testing with professor or with ODR, etc).

Where do I go to take my exams?

Some professors choose to proctor exams for students with exam accommodations (ie: extended time, distraction reduced setting, etc). You should ask your professor if he/she plans to do this. If not, alternative testing space is available with ODR on our Main University City Campus as well as our Center City Hahnemann Campus from 8am-5pm Monday through Friday (excluding University holidays). Please inquire with ODR for more information about our Testing Policy and Procedures.

What happens if a professor does not want to provide an accommodation?

Generally professors are incredibly accommodating and able to provide all approved academic accommodations. In the rare occurrence that a professor does not understand an accommodation or refuses to provide one you should contact ODR immediately. We can be reached at 215-895-1401 or via email at ODR is responsible for ensuring that all students with disabilities have equal access to their education.

When should I get a new Accommodation Verification Letter (AVL)?

You should renew your AVL each term. After you schedule your classes contact ODR at 215-895-1401 or via email at and request your new AVL. Your letter will generally be ready for pick-up in 24 hours if you are requesting the same accommodations as the previous term. You will not need a formal appointment unless you feel accommodations on your letter need to change.

What happens with my accommodations when I am on Co-Op or Clinicals?

ODR is here to work with students during all aspects of their academic experience at Drexel, including Co-Ops and Clinicals! We suggest that you look for a Co-Op position that best fits your strengths and needs. If you feel you may benefit from accommodations while on Co-Op or Clinicals please contact ODR to discuss what options may be available. ODR can also meet with you to talk about other aspects of your job search like finding disability-conscious employers, and strategies for disclosing your disability on the job.

Is there tutoring on campus?

Yes! The Drexel Learning Center (DLC) on main campus provides free tutoring to ALL students at Drexel. You can sign up for tutoring at any time by visiting their website at For Center City students, the Center for Academic Success (CAS) offers similar services.
Drexel also offers the Math Resource Center ( and the Writing Center ( for any student who needs more specialized help in those academic areas.

What do I do if I feel my accommodations are not giving me equal opportunities in my classes?

If at any point you feel your current accommodations are not providing you with equal access or are in any way ineffective please contact ODR immediately. We are happy to work with students to find appropriate solutions for ensuring accessibility.

Does Drexel offer campus living accommodations (ie: residence hall, meal plan, etc)?

Yes! Drexel University through ODR offers a variety of campus living accommodations including, but not limited to: accessible dorm rooms, elevator access, specialized rooming arrangements, access to kitchens, private bathrooms, reductions in meal plan, allergen free materials, etc. If you feel you may qualify for any of these accommodations based on a disability, you should contact ODR.

Will my disability information be kept confidential?

ODR is guided by the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), otherwise known as the Buckley Amendment, in protecting each student's right to privacy by limiting access to information pertaining to the provision of disability-related services and accommodations. A separate file is created for each student and all disability files are housed securely in ODR. Specific information regarding any students' diagnosis is not shared without expressed written consent from the student.

What can I do if I disagree with decisions made regarding my accommodations?

Any student who disagrees with a decision made by ODR regarding their accommodations has the right to file an appeal. All appeals are made to Ann Knettler-Smith, Director of the Office of Disability Resources. More information about the appeals process can be found on our website at: Appeals

What should I do if I feel I may have been discriminated against at Drexel based on my disability?

If you feel the actions of any person or entity at Drexel University has been discriminatory based on your disability status you should contact ODR immediately and report the event.

What resources might be available for a person with my specific disability?

Every accommodation is decided on a case-by-case basis. There may be a range of options open to you that you haven't yet considered. Therefore, it would be best to schedule an appointment with one of our staff to find out more about your specific eligibility.

Do the accommodations I received in high school still apply at Drexel?

Now that you are in college, you are protected under a different law than when you were in high school. The Americans with Disabilities Act protects students with disabilities from discrimination and ensures that reasonable accommodations are provided in postsecondary education. Because of the differences in the laws and depending on what information your evaluation from high school contains, we may or may not be able to provide you with the same accommodations you have received in the past. Please see our documentation requirements for more detailed information on what information your documentation must contain. 

If I never had accommodations before but think I may have a disability, what should I do?

Many students acquire conditions or are simply diagnosed with lifelong conditions when in college. If you think you may have a disability but have not yet been diagnosed, we would recommend that you speak with an ODR staff member who can help to connect you with on- and off-campus resources, and walk you through the process of registering with our office. The Office of Disability Resources maintains a list of individuals who perform evaluations for learning disabilities, ADHD, and psychological conditions in the Philadelphia area. This list is available upon request. If you are in the process of being diagnosed with another type of condition (i.e. chronic health, vision, hearing, etc), you can refer your doctor to our documentation requirements

I am apprehensive about documenting a disability with ODR. Is it possible that registering with ODR will "count against" or disadvantage me in any way?

Disability-related documentation and other records at ODR are completely confidential. We never communicate with anyone on your behalf (not even with your parents) unless you specifically authorize us to do so. No university records or transcripts are affected by your registering with ODR. Please visit our "Confidentiality Information" page for more information.

3225 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
(215)895-1401 (Phone)
(215)895-1402 (Fax)
(215)895-2299 (TTY)