- Can I be trained on how to use Kurzweil?
Absolutely! Contact ODR at email@example.com or 215-895-1401 and request a “Technology Appointment”. Small Group Technology Appointments are also available during the first few weeks of Fall Term.
Return to top
Dragon Naturally Speaking
Dragon Naturally Speaking (DNS) is a voice to text program currently available to students in the Haggerty Library Adaptive Technology Center on our University City Campus. After a brief training, DNS allows a person to speak into a microphone and have their voice automatically transferred into text on the computer. DNS can be used for any text-based document (ie: Word documents, interactive PDF files, online forms, Excel, etc)
Video: DNS demonstration
Return to top
Ginger (grammar and spelling checker)
Ginger is a grammar and spelling checker that uses sentence context and the phonetic sounds of words to offer correction suggestions. This software is compatible with MS Word, Outlook, Powerpoint, Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome. You can download the software for free at the following link: http://www.gingersoftware.com/
Return to top
Zoom-Text is a screen magnification and screen reading program used by people with visual impairments. This software is compatible with Windows based PC’s and offers many features such as: customizable screen magnification and reading, color scheme alterations, compatibility with most windows based software programs and web browsers. ODR students who qualify to use Zoom-Text as an accommodation should contact our IT-Support representative, Joe Lynn at firstname.lastname@example.org or X1769 and provide him with several days/times that you would be available for him to remotely connect to your computer and perform the installation. (Students with visual impairments using MAC computers are encouraged to use the built in screen magnification and voiceover features that come standard on every machine.)
Return to top
Pulse Smart Pen
The Pulse SmartPen is a writing and recording device. Students can take notes using the pen while instantaneously recording the audio from the professor’s lecture. The pen then goes one step beyond regular recording and will let the user playback specific audio by simply tapping on the page to hear what was being said at the same time that a word or image was written down. The SmartPen is available from several major retailers and is considered a person aide (something that students would be responsible for purchasing on their own). Click the following link to learn more about the pen and to watch a video about how it can specifically help college students with disabilities: http://www.livescribe.com/en-us/solutions/learningdisabilities/
Return to top
Helpful iPhone and iPad apps
Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) app
- Sono Flex – ACC vocabulary app turns symbols into clear speech. The have a Lite (free) version and a full version ($99.99)
- Verbally - Verbally is an easy-to-use, comprehensive Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) app for the iPad. Verbally brings speech to those without and enables real conversation with its simple, intuitive design. Just tap in what you want to say and Verbally speaks for you.
- Inspiration Maps – brainstorm, analyze, take notes, study, etc. Lite version (free) allows you to create up to five diagrams. Full version ($14.99) is unlimited.
- iThoughts (Ipad - $9.99/Iphone ($7.99) a mind mapping tool
- Mind Meister (free) – create and share mind maps (requires free registration)
- Mindjeg (Ipad - free) – easily enter ideas, tasks and meeting notes into intuitive visual maps
- Popplet - brainstorming and mind mapping with options for a Lite version (free) which has a limit of one popplet and the full version ($4.99) which is unlimited.
- Simple mind + - mind mapping software with a free version and fully functional version ($6.99)
- Total Recall (free) – mind mapping software
- WordCloud – mind mapping (free)
- FormulasHD for Calculus (free) - FormulusHD is the perfect study tool. It is a simple, easy to use, easy to navigate collection of the most important formulas and topics for high school and college students taking Calculus and Differential Equations.
- Free Graphing Calculator - Graphing Calculator turns your phone or iPod into an intuitive high-resolution function plotter and scientific calculator – There are versions that are free and versions over $10.00.
Note Taking/Writing Apps
- AudioNote –allows you to record notes and audio synced with note taking app. The have a lite version (free) which limits to 10 minutes per note and 2 hours total OR a full version ($4.99).
- Bamboo Paper – Notebook: Natural handwriting on digital paper with use of Stylus (Free).
- inClass - Basic app for organizing your terms, courses and daily calendar but it also has the additional benefit of note-taking with the app with ability to record audio, insert or take a picture as well as file-share.
- PaperDesk - Record audio while taking notes. They have lite version (3 pages per note book) and full version ($4.99) with unlimited pages in the notebooks).
- Typ-O - Includes word prediction, text-to-speech and corrects most common spelling mistakes. They have a Typ-o Lite (Iphone) version for free, a Typ-o Writing is for Everyone (Iphone) version for $4.99, and the Typ-o HD version (Ipad and Iphone) for $14.99
- GoodReader ($4.99) - super-robust PDF reader for iPad where you can read virtually anything, anywhere - books, movies, maps, pictures.
- iAnnotate ($9.99) - Read, annotate, and share PDFs.
- iBooks (free) - iBooks is an amazing way to download and read books. You can flip through pages, bookmark or add notes to your favorite passages and some have audio visual features
- inDAISY ($19.99) - multimedia talking DAISY book reader that allows users to enjoy different flavors of DAISY 2.02 and DAISY 3 books
- Inkling (free) - Digital college textbooks. A textbook case of innovation. Inkling brings the world’s best content to iPad with interactivity, social collaboration and simple ease-of-use. No more heavy, expensive textbooks to carry around campus. Inkling textbooks are more interactive, more flexible and cheaper.
- Kindle - download articles, books and more
- Learning Ally ($16.99) - Gain instant access to Learning Ally's downloadable DAISY formatted books. Learning Ally members can explore our extensive library of more than 65,000 audiobooks that are designed for people with print and learning disabilities.
- PDF-Notes - Utilize pdf-notes to manage all the pdf files on your iPad. Fast display, quick page-turning even a thousand pages, useful finger-writing and email your notes to your friends. Easy importing PDF files through (DropBox, Email or Safari's). Free version has advertisements and paid version does not.
- Read 2 Me ($4.99) - Read 2 Me is the FIRST AND ONLY iPhone App that allows full speech synthesis for an entire library of texts. You can even import you own URL based *.txt files straight into your bookshelf to be read aloud!
- Read2Go ($19.99)- From within Read2Go, you can browse, search, download, and read books directly from Bookshare using your Bookshare membership, as well as read DAISY books from other sources.
- ZoomReader (19.99) - In combination with your iPhone’s built-in camera, ZoomReader lets you magnify and read printed text by first taking a picture of an object like a book or menu, then converts the image into text using state-of-the-art Optical Character Recognition (OCR) technology.
- Audio Memos Free – voice recorder
- D2u Dictation and Transcription (free) - The “d2u app” combines a world-class voice recorder with the one of the world’s top Transcription Services to provide you with the best dictation and transcription solution available. Record, edit and upload a digital recording then have the file accurately and efficiently transcribed to text anywhere, at anytime. All you need is an Internet connection. It’s easy to use, yet safe and secure (128 bit encryption). We are fully data protected and HIPAA Compliant.
- Dragon Dictation (free) - Dragon Dictation is an easy-to-use voice recognition application powered by Dragon® NaturallySpeaking® that allows you to easily speak and instantly see your text or email messages.
- QuickVoice (free) - is the most popular, full-featured iPhone/iPad voice recorder available. Record ideas, voice memos, voice email, dictation, lists, meetings, classes, or entire lectures! For professional, educational, and personal use.
- iSpeech (free) – type text and it will speak back to you
- Read It (free) – type text and it will speak back to you
- Speak It To Me HD (free) – type text and it will speak back to you
- Speak Text - Text-to-Speech for emails, documents, web pages, PDF files, and more. You have to paste into Speak it! Free version speaks / translates a few sentences only and has sponsored ads. They have a variety of versions (e.g. text, office and a combined version). They also have a paid version ($9.99 each for text and web, $16.99 each for office and e-book, and a combined version for $19.99)
- Evernote - helps you remember everything across all of the devices you use – notes, photos, to-do list, and voice reminders. Its searchable! (Free)
- myHomework (Ipad and Iphone)- keep track of your homework, classes, projects and tests
- Schedule Planner HD (free)
- TextMinder (Iphone - $1.99) - TextMinder allows you to schedule SMS text reminders to be sent to you at the times you specify, repeating as often as you choose. Remind yourself of your medication, homework assignment, class, meeting, etc.
And there are so many more
- Dictionary.com – (free version with advertisements or $4.99 no advertisements)
- iElements – view periodic table online
- Molecules – three dimensional models of molecules
- Pandora – music for background noise
(Information on helpful iPhone and iPad apps has been provided by Deanna L Arbuckle, MRC, CRC from the University of Dayton via a presentation at the 2012 AHEAD Conference.)
Return to top