Early Bird Registration Now Open: 20th Anniversary PA-NAME Conference
The School of Education’s Critical Conversations in Urban Education is hosting the 20th anniversary conference of the Pennsylvania chapter of the National Association of Multicultural Education (PA-NAME) on Drexel University’s main campus, March 16 – 17, 2018. The conference theme is “The Collective Struggle for Social Justice: 20 Years of PA-NAME.” Early bird registration is now open through February 16. Please use this link to register.
Conference highlights include:
- Keynote speaker: Lewis Diuguid, Journalist and Author of Our Fathers: Making Black Men (2017), and 2017 Recipient of the Louis M. Lyons Award for Conscience and Integrity in Journalism at Harvard University
- Panel of Past PA-NAME Presidents to share reflections on the legacy and future possibilities of the state chapter
- Friday evening poster session and reception hosted by the Provost’s Office
- Over 50 presentations featuring titles such as:
- “Fault Lines: School Segregation and Education Finance Inequity in Pennsylvania,” Yi Li, Ed Build (national nonprofit organization)
- “Educating a New Generation: A Social Justice Peer Educator Model,” Vincent Stephens and Donna Bickford, Dickinson College
- “Infusing Academic-based Service-learning Across the University: Teaching Students about Social Justice Issues and Preparing Them to be Culturally Competent Leaders,” Lori Simons, Marina Barnett, Kathryn Healey, Charlotte Marshall, and Brenda Kucirka, Widener University
- “Narratives of Microaggressions as Experienced by Faculty of Color in the Classroom,” Alonzo Flowers, Christopher Wright, Vera Lee, and Ayana Allen-Handy, Drexel University
For more information about the PA-NAME conference, please visit the PA-NAME website.
Many thanks to our sponsors (to date) for making this event possible: School of Education, Provost’s Office, LeBow College of Business, Academy of Natural Sciences, College of Engineering, Information Technology, College of Nursing and Health Professions, Graduate College, Office of Faculty Affairs, University and Community Partnerships, Lindy Center for Civic Engagement, Office of Equality and Diversity, Dornsife School of Public Health, Student Life, Thomas R. Kline Law School, Westphal College of Media Arts and Design, Department of Global Studies and Modern Languages.