John Bielec Named 2007 Eastern Technology Council CIO of the Year
December 7, 2007
SunGard Higher Education honored Drexel's CIO, Dr. John Bielec, with the 2007 Enterprise CIO of the Year Award by the Eastern Technology Council. Bielec, one of three finalists,was recognized for his technology vision, leadership and accomplishments as CIO at Drexel.
The Eastern Technology Council’s CIO of the Year Award, now in its 15th year, recognizes an individual for his or her innovation and creativity in planning and deploying enterprise systems, success in leading major technology initiatives, management philosophy, and service to the industry and community. SunGard Higher Education presented Bielec with the award at a gala on December 6.
As Drexel’s vice president for information resources and technology and CIO, Bielec has been instrumental in architecting and leading an impressive roster of technology initiatives that are delivering measurable performance improvements including:
• Expanding the institution’s ubiquitous computing environment, noted as the first in the nation when it initially launched in the 1980s.
• Launching DrexelOne Mobile, powered by SunGard Higher Education’s Banner and Luminis solutions, which started out as a wireless Web portal that provided students access to grades, class schedules, announcements and administrative alerts, and later grew to include a notification system for emergency alerts.
• Operating a fully wireless network across all three of its Pennsylvania campuses.
• Launching a customized freshman portal with 12 channels of content relevant for first-year students.
• Delivering IT services, through an ASP model, to more than 50 colleges and universities spanning the United States and the United Kingdom over the past 5 years.
Bielec has received numerous awards in previous years including both Computerworld and CIO Magazine, as one of the business world's Premier 100 IT leaders, Campus Technology Innovators Award, the Neal O. Hines award from the National Association of College and University Business Officers, the Wharton Infosys Business Transformation Medal and the Phi Kappa Phi Faculty mentor award.
The Eastern Technology Council Enterprise Awards is the eastern region’s most prestigious competition recognizing and honoring demonstrative leadership and vision, product/service innovation, and community/industry involvement in the technology and life sciences industries. The complete listing of the
2007 Eastern Technology Council CIO of the Year finalists can be downloaded at
http://www.techcouncil.org/entawards2007.cfm. The Judge Group sponsored this year’s competition.
News Media Contact: Niki Gianakaris, Assistant Director, Drexel News Bureau
215-895-6741 or firstname.lastname@example.org