Macromolecular Materials Group
- PhD, Polymer Science and Engineering, University of Southern Mississippi, 2010
- BS, Plastics Engineering Technology, The Pennsylvania State University, 2004
- Visiting Assistant Professor, The Pennsylvania State University, Department of Engineering, 2014-Present
- Principal Investigator, DuPont, Central Research and Development, 2012-2014
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Carnegie Mellon University, Molecular Biosensors & Imaging Center and The Department of Chemistry, 2010-2012
The research in our laboratory is focused on developing innovative polymerization platforms that generate functional soft materials addressing needs at the interface of chemistry, biology, and materials science. Structurally complex materials exhibiting unique physical properties are designed and fabricated using an assortment of methodologies involving directed self-assembly, externally applied stimuli, structure-function correlation, and applied engineering principles suited for technologies in regenerative medicine, biological interfacing, catalytic, electronic, and optical applications.
- Andrew J. D. Magenau, Nicola Bortolamei, Elena Frick, Sangwoo Park, Armando Gennaro, Krzysztof Matyjaszewski, “Investigation of Electrochemically Mediated Atom Transfer Radical Polymerization,” Macromolecules 2013, 46, 4346.
- Dominik Konkolewicz, Andrew J. D. Magenau, Saadyah E. Averick, Antonina Simakova, Hongkun He, Krzysztof Matyjaszewski, “ICAR ATRP with ppm Cu Catalyst in Water,” Macromolecules 2012, 45, 4461.
- Saadyah E. Averick, Eduardo Paredes, Ainara Irastorza, Arun R. Shrivats, Abiraman Srinivasan, Daniel J. Siegwart, Andrew J. D. Magenau, Hong Y. Cho, Eric Hsu, Amram A. Averick, Jinku Kim, Shiguang Liu, Jeffrey O. Hollinger, Subha R. Das, Krzysztof Matyjaszewski, “Preparation of Cationic Nanogels for Nucleic Acid Delivery,” Biomacromolecules 2012, 13, 3445-3449.
- Andrew J. D. Magenau, Yungwan Kwak, Kristin Schroeder, Krzystof Matyjaszewski, “Highly Active Bipyridine-Based Ligands for Atom Transfer Radical Polymerization,” ACS Macro Letters 2012, 1, 508.
- Saadyah E. Averick, Antonina Simakova, Sangwoo Park, Dominik Konkolewicz, Andrew J. D. Magenau, Ryan A. Mehl, Krzysztof Matyjaszewski, “ATRP under Biologically Relevant Conditions: Grafting from a Protein,” ACS Macro Letters (Cover) 2011, 1, 6.
- Andrew J. D. Magenau, Nicholas C. Strandwitz, Armando Gennaro, Krzysztof Matyjaszewski, “Electrochemically Mediated Atom Transfer Radical Polymerization,” Science 2011, 332, 81.
- Nicola Bortolamei, Abdirisak A. Isse, Andrew J. D. Magenau, Armando Gennaro, Krzysztof Matyjaszewski, “Controlled Aqueous Atom Transfer Radical Polymerization with Electrochemical Generation of the Active Catalyst,” Angewandte Chemie. 2011, 50, 11391.
- Andrew J. D. Magenau, Yungwan Kwak, Krzysztof Matyjaszewski, “ATRP of Methacrylates Utilizing CuIIX2/L and Copper Wire,” Macromolecules 2010, 43, 9682.
- Andrew J. D. Magenau, Justin W. Chan, Charles E. Hoyle, Robson F. Storey, “Facile Polyisobutylene Functionalization via Thiol-Ene Click Chemistry,” Polymer Chemistry, 2010, 1, 831.
- Andrew J. D. Magenau, Nemesio Martinez-Castro, Daniel A. Savin, Robson F. Storey, “Polyisobutylene RAFT CTA by a Click Chemistry Site Transformation Approach: Synthesis of Poly(isobutylene-b-N-isopropylacrylamide),” Macromolecules, 2009, 42, 8044.
- Andrew J. D. Magenau, Nemesio Martinez-Castro, Robson F. Storey “Site Transformation of Polyisobutylene Chain Ends into Functional RAFT Agents for Block Copolymer Synthesis,” Macromolecules, 2009, 42, 2353.