Personal Web Page
All students, faculty, staff, and student organizations are allowed to create personal web pages on the Drexel Unix "Pages" server (DUNX1). The URL for published personal web pages is formatted like this: http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~userid.
Drexel Unix Server (DUNX1) Page Listings
What You Need
Create Your Account
To access your personal webspace you must first create a Drexel Unix (DUNX1) account.
Setting up your DUNX1 account and uploading files will require the following software downloads available from the Drexel software site:
- Windows: SSH Client
- Mac: Fetch
Step One: Creating a Public_html folder
You will need a SSH (secure shell) client for the next steps.
- Windows users can download the SSH client from the Drexel Software site.
- Mac user can use the built-in terminal client in OS X.
Video tutorials for Mac and PC
- Open your SSH File Transfer Client.
To open the connection dialog box click on File -->Connect or simply press Enter or Space Bar. Type in dunx1.irt.drexel.edu for the Host Name and enter YOUR userid for the User Name. Leave all of the other settings the way they appear; that is, port number 22 and Authentication Method Keyboard Interactive.
- Enter your password.
- Verify that you have a public_html directory by typing the command ls and pressing enter. If you see the public_html directory listed, proceed to step 5, otherwise go to step 4.
- At the command prompt type in the command mkdir public_html and press enter. If you get the response:
mkdir: Failed to make directory "public_html"; File exists
that means that you already had the directory and can proceed to the next step.
- At the command prompt type in the command webshare and press enter.
- At the command prompt type in the command exit and press enter. This will disconnect you from your Dunx1 account. You only need to run this command once for your permissions to be set.
Step Two: Create Your Web Pages
IRT offers workshops on web topics. You can read more about them on the workshops page.
Other resources are available on the web resources help page.
Step Three: Publish Your Web Pages
Transfer your files to www.pages.drexel.edu via SFTP (secure file transfer protocol).