Christina Dimitriou, Ph.D.
Hospitality and Tourism
- August 2012
Doctor of Philosophy, Hospitality Administration, Texas Tech
- December 1996
Master of Social Science, Tourism Policy and Management, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, England
- June 1995
Bachelor of Science, Tourism Business Administration, Technological Educational Institute (T.E.I), Larissa, Greece
Areas of Expertise
Hotel operations, hotel leadership and management, hospitality and tourism marketing, business ethics in the hotel industry, customer service, human resources management, guest services management.
- Sep 1999 – Dec 2000
Asteras Hotel, Larissa, Greece
- Jun 1997 – Dec 1997
Front Desk Operations
Holiday Inn, Liège Belgium
- Apr 1994 – Nov 1994
Front Desk Clerk, Intern Position
Avra Hotel, Chalkidiki, Greece
- Jul 1993 – Sep 1993
Hotel Services, Seasonal Position
Knossos Royal Village, Crete, Greece
Hospitality leadership and management, business ethics in the hotel industry, ethical behavior of hotel employees, hotel and tourism marketing issues, human resources in the hotel industry, challenges and trends in the hospitality industry, and ways to create a better future for this industry.
Refereed Conference Presentations
- Dimitriou, C. K. (2013). Factors influencing the ethical behavior of hotel employees. The 31st EuroCHRIE Annual Conference 2013 Freiburg, Germany (Accepted).
- Dimitriou, C. K., & Scoles, K. (2013). Challenges for new online course developers. The 1st Annual Showcase of Teaching, Drexel Center of Academic Excellence (DCAE), Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA.
- Dimitriou, C. K., Blum, S. C., Adams, C., & Kim, J. (2011). The impact of a hotel’s business ethics on employee job satisfaction and organizational commitment. Paper presented at the 2011 Annual International CHRIE Summer Conference & Marketplace, Denver, CO.
- Dimitriou, C. K. (2003). Ways of implementing sustainable tourist development in the region of Thessaly. Paper presented at the 3rd Conference on Thessalian Growth with main focus on “Water Resource Management and the Sustainable Growth of Thessaly”, Larissa, Greece
- Dimitriou, C. K. (2003). The contribution of ecotourism in the proper development of the regions of Thessaly. Paper presented at the Mouzaki Conference on Local Development and the Environment organized by the Center of Environmental Education of Mouzaki, Mouzaki, Greece.
Refereed Conference Poster Sessions
- Dimitriou, C. K. (2013). Effectiveness of online versus hard copy surveys of hotel employees. The 2013 Annual International CHRIE Summer Conference & Marketplace, St. Louis, MO.
- Dimitriou, C. K., & Blum, S. C. (2012). The road to fostering a positive ethical climate in the hotel industry. The 17th Graduate Education and Research Conference in Hospitality and Tourism, Auburn, AL.
- Dimitriou, C. K., & Blum, S. C. (2010). Millennials: How the hospitality industry can hire, train and retain this new generation of employees. The 15th Graduate Education and Research Conference in Hospitality and Tourism, Washington, D.C.
Refereed Journal Publications
- Dimitriou, C. K., Blum, S. C., & Velikova N. (2013). Hiring, training, and retaining Millennial employees in the hotel industry. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management. (Under review)
- Dimitriou, C. K. (2000). Ecotourism: A different approach. Tourism & Economy, 27(264), 120-124.
- Dimitriou, C. K. (1999). Hotel Marketing: Need to adjust to the new demands. Tourism & Economy, 25(242), 137-138.
- Dimitriou, C. K. (1998, November 21). Residents of tourist regions: The other side of our tourism. Eleftheria, p. 6.