Policy Number: HR-38
Effective Date: November 2010
Last Revision: November 2011
Responsible Officer: Senior Vice President of Student Life & Administrative Services
This policy identifies the official Winter Break period observed by Drexel University, and provides associated guidelines for faculty and Professional Staff Members.
This policy applies to all eligible full-time and part-time faculty and Professional Staff Members.
Implementation of this policy is the responsibility of the individual supervisor with guidance from the supervisor’s Human Resources Consultant.
The Senior Vice President of Student Life and Administrative Services is the Drexel University official responsible for the administration of this policy.
Drexel University provides eligible faculty and Professional Staff Members with paid time off during the weekdays between the Christmas and New Year's holidays.
Professional staff member is defined to include an individual employed by Drexel University, including individuals who are either exempt or non-exempt under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
Winter Break is defined as the weekdays between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
Full time Professional Staff Member is a Professional Staff Member who is regularly scheduled to work 40 hours per week.
Part time Professional Staff Member is a Professional Staff Member who is regularly scheduled to work at least 20 but fewer than 40 hours per week.
- The following days are observed as a University-wide Winter Break for CY2012:
- Monday, December 24, 2012
- Wednesday, December 26, 2012
- Thursday, December 27, 2012
- Friday, December 28, 2012
- Monday, December 31, 2012
- The hours of the Winter Break begin at 12:00 a.m. on the day observed and end at 11:59 p.m. that day.
- If Winter Break occurs during a Professional Staff Member’s scheduled vacation, it will be charged as Winter Break pay with the remainder of the time being charged to the vacation accrual.
- If an observed day in Winter Break falls on a regular part-time employees’ scheduled day to work, they will be paid their regular daily rate for time not worked during the Winter Break.
- Professional Staff whose presence is deemed necessary by their supervisor to maintain basic operations during these days will receive equivalent time off to be taken by the end of the fiscal year, June 30. Winter Break is not subject to the same overtime conditions as observed Drexel Holidays.
- Professional Staff Members who are required to work per their supervisor will be compensated with personal time for hours worked on an hour for hour basis (maximum of 8 hours per day). A Payroll Resolution Form [PDF] must be submitted by the employee’s supervisor in order to receive personal time for hours worked.
AT-WILL EMPLOYMENT NOT AFFECTED
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary stated in this policy, nothing herein is intended to alter the at-will status of a Professional Staff Member. The University at all times retains the right to terminate any Professional Staff Member at any time for any lawful reason, or for no reason at all.