Flexible Work Arrangement
Policy Number: HR-61
Effective Date: March 2013
Responsible Officer: Senior Vice President of Student Life & Administrative Services
This policy supports the University’s efforts to provide a workplace that meets the varied scheduling needs of its Professional Staff Members and also addresses space and operations requirements.
This policy applies to all eligible Professional Staff Members, excluding those Professional Staff Members who are affiliated with a collective bargaining unit.
Implementation of this policy is the responsibility of the Department of Human Resources.
The Senior Vice President of Student Life and Administrative Services is the Drexel University official responsible for the administration of this policy.
This policy is intended to establish guidelines for flexibility in University work arrangements. The University supports Flexible Work Arrangements that enable Professional Staff Members to balance work and personal needs while providing workforce predictability and stability. Flexible Work Arrangement requests are not the same as an occasional need for flexibility.
Compressed Work Schedule is defined as an alternate work schedule completed in fewer than five (5) full workdays per week.
Core Business Hours is defined as the fixed block of time during which all Professional Staff Members are expected to be at work. Drexel’s Core Business Hours are 10am to 3pm.
Department Head is defined as the highest ranking administrator in a department, center or college/school within the University (e.g., Senior Vice President, Dean, Director or department chair).
Exempt Professional Staff Member is defined under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) as a Professional Staff Member holding a bona fide executive, administrative or professional position that is not subject to the overtime provisions of the Act. Exempt Professional Staff Members are considered salaried and cannot be docked for anything less than a full day’s work.
Flex Schedule is defined as an alternate work arrangement outside of the standard 8am to 5pm Workday.
Flexible Work Arrangement as defined as a non-traditional work arrangement with varied start and stop times or locations; and can include 1) Compressed Work Schedule, 2) Flex Schedule, 3) Job Share, or 4) Telework. Except in a Job Share situation, the total numbers of hours worked during a pay period and productivity expected remains the same.
Flexible Work Arrangement Agreement is a written agreement between the Professional Staff Member and the immediate supervisor that details the terms and conditions of the Professional Staff Member’s Flexible Work Arrangement.
Job Share is defined as a work arrangement where two Professional Staff Members share the responsibilities of one full-time position, in which each Professional Staff Member works part-time and shares a specific proportion of a full-time position.
Non-exempt Professional Staff Member is defined under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) as a Professional Staff Member holding a position that is subject to the provisions of the Act.
Professional Staff Member is defined as an individual employed in any non-faculty category by Drexel University, including an individual who is deemed to be either exempt or non-exempt under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and/or applicable state law.
Telework is defined as a work arrangement where the Professional Staff Member performs a portion of their job off-site (typically in a home office), on a regular, recurring basis.
- Requesting a Flexible Work Arrangement
- To establish a Flexible Work Arrangement, the Professional Staff Member must complete the Flexible Work Arrangement Request form and submit it to his or her immediate supervisor.
- The Professional Staff Member and immediate supervisor then discuss the details of the Flexible work Arrangement request and whether or not the request is feasible.
- Determining Feasibility of a Flexible Work Arrangement
- In considering the request for a Flexible Work Arrangement , the immediate supervisor should consider the impact on the business unit and other business units; workload and productivity (particularly during Core Business Hours); other Faculty and Professional Staff Members, Students and customers; and business needs.
- The immediate supervisor should use the Flexible Work Arrangement Guidelines [PDF] to evaluate a request.
- Before granting approval, the immediate supervisor must review the Flexible Work Arrangement Request with the Department Head.
- Establishing and Managing a Flexible Work Arrangement
- When a Professional Staff Member, his or her immediate supervisor, and the Department Head all agree that a Flexible Work Arrangement is appropriate, a Flexible Work Arrangement Agreement form must be completed setting forth the specifics of the arrangement.
- The immediate supervisor must work with his or her HR Partner to develop the Flexible Work Arrangement Agreement. The Flexible Work Arrangement Agreement should reflect the particularities of each situation and should be consistent with the Department’s or college’s staffing needs.
- The immediate supervisor must manage the Flexible Work Arrangement to assess the continued feasibility of the Flexible Work Arrangement. An initial thirty (30) day pilot is required. In addition the Flexible Work Arrangement should also be reviewed during the annual performance evaluation for continued feasibility.
- Discontinuing A Flexible Work Arrangement
- A Flexible Work Arrangement may be discontinued by the Professional Staff Member, the immediate supervisor, or the Department Head, based on the Professional Staff Member’s performance or the changing needs of the Department or college.
- As much advance notice should be given as possible when discontinuing a Flexible Work Arrangement.
AT-WILL EMPLOYMENT NOT AFFECTED
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary stated in this policy, nothing herein is intended to alter the at-will status of any Professional Staff Member. Drexel University at all times retains the right to terminate any Professional Staff Member at any time for any lawful reason, or for no reason at all.