Policy Number: HR-47
Effective Date: July 2002
Last Revision: March 2013
Responsible Official: Executive Vice President, Treasurer and Chief Financial Officer
This policy provides a process by which a former full-time University Professional Staff Member can be re-employed on a full-time basis.
This policy applies to all eligible non-faculty Professional Staff Members, excluding any Professional Staff Member who is affiliated with a collective bargaining unit.
Implementation of this policy is the responsibility of the Department of Human Resources.
The Executive Vice President, Treasurer and Chief Financial Officer is the Drexel University official responsible for the administration of this policy.
It is the University's policy to consider former Professional Staff Members for approved/budgeted open positions. Professional Staff Members who leave the University, either voluntarily or through no fault of their own, and who make application for reemployment will be given consideration. The University does not re-employ those who were terminated for cause.
Professional Staff Member is defined as an individual employed in any non-faculty category by Drexel University, including an individual who is deemed to be either exempt or non-exempt under the provisions of the FLSA and/or applicable state law.
Rehire is employment of a former Professional Staff Member after ninety (90) days of the Professional Staff Member’s effective date of termination from the University.
Reinstatement is employment of a former Professional Staff Member within ninety days of the Professional Staff Member’s effective date of termination from the University. Reinstatement applies when a Professional Staff Member returns to full-time regular employment status in the former position or another position in the University.
- Professional Staff Members who have terminated from the University and are reinstated within ninety days of the effective date of termination shall be reinstated with their hire date and benefits entitlement, based on the original date of hire.
- Professional Staff Members who have terminated from the University and are rehired after ninety (90) days of the effective date of termination will be considered a new hire with a new date of hire and benefits eligibility will be based on this new date of hire.
- When position openings occur, the University will consider applicants who are former Professional Staff Members, who have performed satisfactorily and who have terminated their employment under favorable circumstances. Each application will be considered on its own merits after a review of the applicant's record, the type of position available, and other relevant factors.
- Before pursuing the recruitment and selection process with a former Professional Staff Members, the individual conducting the search must contact the Human Resources Department to review the position opening and have a HR Partner check the former Professional Staff Member's record. Records of former Professional Staff Members who were terminated involuntarily will be reviewed by Human Resources to determine the circumstances of the termination. In addition to the required two references, supervisors are advised to contact the applicant's former supervisor (at the University), if available, for a reference.
- A department intending to reinstate a former Professional Staff Member to an open position, whether or not it is the same position formerly occupied by a Professional Staff Member, must complete all normal personnel action forms. However, the requirement of posting can be waived with permission of the Department of Human Resources.
- A Professional Staff Member who is reinstated within ninety days will recover the amount of sick time accrued at the time of termination. A Professional Staff Member rehired after ninety (90) days will begin with a zero balance.
AT-WILL EMPLOYMENT NOT AFFECTED
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary stated in this policy, nothing herein is intended to alter the at-will status of any Professional Staff Member. Drexel University at all times retains the right to terminate any Professional Staff Member at any time for any lawful reason, or for no reason at all.