Policy Number: HR-34
Effective Date: July 2002
Last Revision: May 2013
Responsible Officer: Associate Dean for Administration and Chief of Staff
This policy was established to describe Drexel University College of Medicine's position regarding Professional Staff Members who request a leave of absence in order to satisfy a military obligation.
This policy applies to all Drexel University College of Medicine Professional Staff Members.
Implementation of this policy is the responsibility of the Department of Human Resources.
The Associate Dean for Administration and Chief of Staff is the Drexel University College of Medicine official responsible for the administration of this policy.
Drexel University College of Medicine supports and accommodates Professional Staff Members who volunteer or who are called to serve military obligations (voluntary or involuntary) in the Armed Services of the United States or any of the reserve components of these services. Leaves of absence in these cases will be governed in accordance with applicable law.
Military Leave is defined as a Professional Staff Member's absence from work for military/reserve service with one of the uniformed services of the United States.
Professional Staff Member is defined as an individual employed in any non-faculty category by Drexel University College of Medicine, including an individual who is deemed to be either exempt or non-exempt under the provisions of the FLSA and/or applicable state law.
- Professional Staff Members who enlist or who are called to active military service should submit a written request to his or her supervisor in advance with a copy of their orders to report to duty.
- Professional Staff Members who enlist or who are called to active military service will not receive Drexel University College of Medicine pay or Drexel University College of Medicine-paid benefits during the time they are on active duty. However, health insurance coverage will be continued for thirty (30) days from the date the leave begins, and Professional Staff Members may be eligible to suspend retirement plan loan repayments during military leave. Salary is not continued during military leave; however, Professional Staff Members may use vacation time to the extent they have accrued time available.
- Professional Staff Members returning to work may be eligible to make retirement plan contributions up to the amounts that could have been made during their leave and also have Drexel University College of Medicine match make-up contributions at the rate that would have applied under the plan in accordance with current plan provisions.
- The Professional Staff Member will return to work under conditions set forth in applicable law.
- Absences due to military leave will not be included when considering a Professional Staff Member's attendance record. These absences should be documented, but should not be considered as an occurrence when determining absenteeism/lateness for as outlined in the Attendance Policy.
AT-WILL EMPLOYMENT NOT AFFECTED
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary stated in this policy, nothing herein is intended to alter the at-will status of any Professional Staff Member. Drexel University College of Medicine at all times retains the right to terminate any Professional Staff Member at any time for any lawful reason, or for no reason at all.