No Smoking and Tobacco Use
Policy Number: HR-15
Effective Date: April 2014
Responsible Officer: President, Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University
In compliance with The Philadelphia Code, Chapter 10-600 , entitled "Public Places – Prohibited Conduct," prohibiting smoking in public places and in the workplace, this policy was established to maintain a smoke-free environment for students, professional staff, contractors and visitors since research demonstrates smoking poses significant health risks.
This policy applies to all Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University Professional Staff Members.
Implementation of this policy is the responsibility of the Department of Human Resources.
The President of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University is the official responsible for the administration of this policy.
- Consistent with a smoke-free Academy and in support of a smoke-free Philadelphia , the sale of all tobacco products is prohibited on campus property.
- Smoking is prohibited within 20 feet of any entrance, exit, operable window, or air in-take of a University owned and/or operated building to include sidewalks and thoroughfares.
- The Academy prohibits the smoking or carrying of lighted tobacco products in all indoor facilities, including interior connections to buildings, covered walkways, all building stairwells, hallways, restrooms, fire escapes, parking structures, Academy owned vehicles, outdoor athletic/recreation facilities, and during all Academy-sponsored indoor or outdoor events.
- All Academy sponsored activities taking place at facilities not owned or operated by the University will be smoke-free in those areas under the Academy's control.
Professional Staff Member is defined as an individual employed in any non-faculty category by the Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University, including an individual who is deemed to be either exempt or non-exempt under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and/or applicable state law.
Student is defined as any person currently enrolled, whether part-time or full-time, in undergraduate or graduate courses or programs. Undergraduate Student denotes any Student who is primarily enrolled in undergraduate courses or program and has not obtained a bachelor’s degree in such course of study or program. Graduate student denotes any Student who is primarily enrolled in graduate courses or program who is working toward a graduate degree or certification after having earned a bachelor’s degree.
- Each department head, director or supervisor is responsible for ensuring policy compliance within his or her areas.
- Public Safety Officers patrolling the campus will instruct individuals to adhere to the non-smoking policy and respond to any complaints regarding the policy.
- Individuals who refuse to cooperate with the Public Safety Officers directive will be asked to provide their name, show ID, provide their department name, and the name of their supervisor. The Public Safety Officer will file a report and a copy will be forwarded to the individual's supervisor.
- When a Professional Staff Member's supervisor is informed of a violation of this policy by Public Safety, s/he will handle the situation directly using the Performance Improvement Process guidelines.
- Students violating the policy will be referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards (formerly Judicial Affairs).
- In addition to any action outlined in the Performance Improvement Policy, any individual who violates this policy could be subject to a fine by the City of Philadelphia Health Department.
AT-WILL EMPLOYMENT NOT AFFECTED
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary stated in this policy, nothing herein is intended to alter the at-will status of any Professional Staff Member. The Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University at all times retains the right to terminate any Professional Staff Member at any time for any lawful reason, or for no reason at all.