For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.

Work Study Process

Work-study students can serve as a valuable asset to your organization.  Since work-study funds are part of financial aid packages, work-study staffing is handled through Drexel Central

How to Hire a Work-Study Student

  1. Access the Drexel Central Federal Work Study page to post a work-study position.
  2. Wait for a response from Drexel Central regarding the position's job class, pay rate, and position number.
  3. Once you hear from Drexel Central, schedule and conduct interviews to fill the position.  Before scheduling an interview with a student, make sure to check that the student has indeed received a work-study award.
  4. After you decide which student you would like to hire, complete an EPAF to hire the student.
  5. If this is the student's first time working for the University or the student has not worked for the University in the last three years, the student will need to fill out a New Hire packet.  This can be done at the Human Resources office at 3201 Arch St., Suite 430.  When the student visits the HR office, make sure that he or she brings acceptable forms of ID, such as:
    1. A Drexel Student ID or Driver's License AND an original birth certificate or Social Security card
    2. A valid, current passport
  6. Once the EPAF reaches HRIS in the approval routing queue and all necessary new hire paperwork has been completed, HRIS enters the student into Banner's HR/Payroll system.  Once this has been completed, your student's timesheet will be activated in DrexelOne.

Information for Students

For more information about the work-study program, please visit the Drexel Central Work Study page.

Why isn't my work study in the system yet?

Your student may not be in the system yet for one of the following reasons:

  • The student is a new hire and hasn't submitted a New Hire packet to Human Resources.  If this is the case, have the student visit HR to fill out the packet.
  • HRIS has not yet received the EPAF to hire the student.  Check the routing queue of your EPAF to see what level of approval the EPAF is waiting on.

How do I change my work-study student's timesheet code?

You must fill out a new Personnel Action Form (PAF) and note the new timesheet organization. Once the PAF has the appropriate approval signatures, it will be sent to HRIS who will then enter the information into the Banner HR/Payroll System.

My work-study student's start date changed. What do I do?

You must fill out a Personnel Action Form (PAF) stating the new start date. Once the PAF has the appropriate approval signatures, it will be sent to HRIS, who will then enter the new start date into the Banner HR/Payroll System.

My work-study student started working before he or she was put in the system. How do I arrange for the student to be paid for that time?

You must submit a Payroll Resolution Form [PDF] to Payroll.

My student's work-study funds ran out, but I want to hire the student as a regular student employee. What do I do?

  1. Submit a termination EPAF in DrexelOne for the work study position.
  2. Submit an EPAF in DrexelOne to hire the student as a bi-weekly Student Employee.  For more information on filling out PAFs, visit our Personal Action Forms page.

I submitted an EPAF for a work-study student and the student never worked. Do I have to terminate the student?

Yes. You must submit a termination EPAF if your work-study student never worked.

My work-study student is starting his/her Drexel Co-op. Does this student need to be terminated?

Yes.  A student cannot work as a work study during his or her co-op period.  Please submit a termination EPAF to terminate your student.  Once the student is finished with the co-op cycle, you can rehire the student by submitting a new EPAF.