MS in Professional Studies
The MS in Professional Studies program provides students with the highly valued interpersonal skills needed to collaborate, negotiate, and lead effectively in today’s workplace by offering a blend of quantitative and qualitative courses. The interdisciplinary Workplace Competencies concentration allows students to apply their knowledge and learned skills across multiple industries.
The MS in Professional Studies Program aims to equip students with the following demonstrable skills:
- Communication - enhancing oral, written, and non-verbal communication skills to allow students to easily relate to, collaborate with, and lead others in the work place - both in person and virtually
- Leadership - providing students with the necessary tool to lead people and organizations through the acts of negotiation, attracting and sustaining talent, and thinking and acting strategically to achieve results
- Critical Inquiry - training students to conduct research and collect data using proven scientific methods and then evaluate and analyze that data to make profitable decisions in the workplace
- Ethics - developing a moral and ethical framework from which organizational decisions can be made
Prospective Student Profile
The students who will benefit from the MS in Professional Studies will have a minimum of three years in the work force. They will be in lower management or looking to move into management, but whose options are limited without the quantitative and qualitative skills necessary to succeed in today’s workplace.
This degree is perfect for students looking to launch, change, or advance their careers.
Our professors are career professionals bringing real-world workplace situations to our virtual classrooms better preparing you to apply your learned skills in the following industries: communications, human resources, finance, insurance, marketing, utilities, pharmaceuticals, among many others. How you apply this degree is up to you! Regardless of the career path you choose, the MS in Professional Studies degree will hone your skills allowing you to leverage yourself into various levels of middle and upper management with continued possibilities to climb the corporate ladder.
All students will be required to maintain a portfolio as they progress through the program. Access to the portfolio platform is provided by the University at no charge to the student. Over the course of their studies, students will add written assignments, projects, presentations, links to videos, and any other specimens to showcase learned skills, knowledge, or growth in one of 8 areas: Communication, Creative and/or Critical Thinking & Information Literacy, Ethical Reasoning & Responsible Citizenship, Global Competence, Leadership, Personal Reflections, Capstone, and Professional Documentation. Students will submit their portfolios as part of their Capstone experience. When students complete the program, they may choose to maintain their portfolios for a small annual fee.
- 3.0 GPA on undergraduate or other completed Master’s transcripts
- 2 Professional Recommendations (3 preferred)
- Resume (minimum of 3 years work experience)
- Statement of Purpose (250-500 words)
- Why is the individual pursuing a Master’s degree?
- Students may also submit (if they choose – not required) any of the following:
- GRE/GMAT scores
- Example of a work project that demonstrates his/her current skill
- Up to 6 transfer credits may be accepted if the courses taken closely align with the core courses in the MS in Professional Studies curriculum
- Any students wishing to receive transfer credits must submit the following for review:
- Proof of the grade
- Course Description
- Course Syllabus (from the actual course taken)
- Application Deadline for Fall 2016 Start: August 1, 2016