Use of Corporate Name
Policy Number: OCG-8
Effective Date: July 2002
Revisions: December 2003
Responsible Officer: General Counsel
To ensure that all who do business with Philadelphia Health and Education Corporation (PHEC) d/b/a Drexel University College of Medicine understand that Drexel University is not involved in the provision of medical care, and that the College of Medicine is a separate corporation, solely responsible for that medical care.
It is the policy of the Drexel University College of Medicine that all patients seen by the Drexel University Physicians are routinely and regularly given notice that Drexel University College of Medicine is a separate corporation that is distinct from Drexel University .
1. Each clinical department will display a notice stating that Drexel University College of Medicine (or “Drexel Med”) is a not-for-profit corporation that is separate and distinct from Drexel University. ach current patient will get a copy of this notice on an 8x10 card, and each new patient will get a copy of this card when asked to complete the initial file paperwork.
2. Drexel University Physicians, Drexel Medicine, and Drexel Med are trademarked names. Therefore, every time one of these names is used a “TM” should follow the name; and, somewhere in the same document/advertisement, the following language must also be included: “ Drexel University Physicians™ is a trademark of Drexel University College of Medicine, a separate not-for-profit subsidiary of Drexel University.” The same language would apply for Drexel Medicine™ and Drexel Med™.
3. If a practice group or department wants to use the name “Drexel” – e.g., Drexel Family Practice, Drexel Obstetrics, Drexel Sports Medicine - in an advertisement, brochure, or other written material that is given to patients or the public, it must first contact the Office of General Counsel and have it registered; then follow the same procedure as in item two (2) above.
4. All Advertisements (internal or to the general public) must follow the same procedure as in item two (2) above.
5. Each document provided to the patient should follow item two (2) above, and state that Drexel University College of Medicine is a corporation separate from Drexel University .
This to include the following:
a. Appointment cards
b. Standard forms such as new patient registration form
c. Consent to Treat form
d. Consent to release patient information form
e. Patient Surveys
f. Patient Medical History form
g. Any other form as necessary
6. All printing of forms and advertisement should be processed through the University Printing Office. To the extent possible, all forms should be standard.
7. All internal and external signage should follow the same protocol.
Any questions regarding the above should be submitted to the Office of the General Counsel.