The Fund for Education Abroad (FEA) was established as a 501(c)(3) organization to address the need for an independent study abroad scholarship provider. The FEA awards support students planning to participate in high-quality, rigorous year or semester long education abroad programs with scholarship of up to $10,000. Since 2010, FEA has awarded almost 100 scholarships, helping students from all over the United States follow their dreams abroad.
Applicants from groups underrepresented in study abroad and those destined for non-traditional locations are given preference, in an effort to make the demographics of U.S. undergraduates studying abroad reflect the rich diversity of the U.S. population.
In addition to the general Fund for Education Abroad scholarships, FEA offers several dedicated scholarships. See the FEA website for more details and to apply.
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the U.S. (as of May 2015, we welcome applications from DACA students)
- Currently enrolled as an undergraduate at a college or university in the U.S.
- Study abroad program must be eligible for credit at the student’s educational institution
- Study abroad program must include at least 4 weeks (30 days) in country/countries
Last updated: December 2016
- Academically rigorous and immersive study abroad program
- Study of the host country language (if not English)
- Study abroad program with a sustainable service-learning / volunteering component
- Non-traditional destination
- Student demonstrates financial need
- FEA strongly encourages students to apply who represent a group that is traditionally underrepresented in education abroad. These groups include, but are not limited to:
- Minority students
- First-generation college students
- Community college students
- Students with disabilities
- Student athletes
- Returning learners
Fields of Study:
- Arts and Creative Fields
- Business and Law
- Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics
- Social Sciences and Humanities
- Asia & Pacific
- North America
- South America
- US Citizen
- US National or Permanent Resident