The Department of Energy Computational Science Graduate Fellowship (DOE CSGF) program provides support to students pursuing a PhD in scientific or engineering disciplines with an emphasis in high-performance computing.
- A yearly stipend of $36,000, renewable up to four years
- Full tuition and required fees during the appointment period (at any accredited U.S. university)
- Annual academic allowance: $5,000 in the first fellowship year and $1,000 each renewed year (to be used for the purchase of a computer workstation or for research/professional development expenses)
- A 12-week practicum experience at one of 21 DOE national laboratories or sites, including access to DOE supercomputers
- A rigorous program of study that ensures fellows have solid backgrounds in a scientific or engineering discipline plus computer science and applied mathematics
- Annual summer program review for fellows, alumni, university and DOE laboratory staff.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- U.S. citizens or permanent resident aliens
- Planning full-time, uninterrupted study toward a Ph.D. at an accredited U.S. university.
- Graduating seniors, graduates with a Bachelor's degree, or first-year graduate students.
DOE CSGF encourages applications from students in engineering and the physical, computer, mathematical or life sciences who meet the following eligibility requirements.
During the fellowship period, fellows are required to be enrolled as full-time graduate students at an accredited U.S. college or university and conduct research in areas of interest to the DOE. The summer should be spent conducting full-time research related to the completion of one's degree program, enrolled in classes or on a practicum assignment.
For more information and to apply, visit the DOE CSGF website
Last updated: December 2016
Fields of Study:
- Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics
- US Citizen
- US National or Permanent Resident
- $36,000 yearly stipend; full tuition and required fees; annual academic allowance ($5000 in first year, $1000 each renewed year)