The American India Foundation's (AIF) William J. Clinton Fellowship for Service in India is committed to developing the next generation of leaders. Through AIF's 10 month fellowship in India, Clinton Fellows are equipped with a practical, field-based knowledge of development. These fellows will become life-long ambassadors for service to the marginalized & underserved in India.
The Fellowship pairs a select number of young professionals with credible NGOs and social enterprises in India in order to accelerate impact and create effective projects that are replicable, scale-able, and sustainable. Together, AIF's Clinton Fellows and development sector leaders form dynamic partnerships to exchange technical skills and knowledge, as well as their passion, commitment, and new ways of looking at the world; ultimately transforming both the individual and organization.
The program seeks Fellows with a demonstrated interest in serving India, the maturity and flexibility to work and live effectively in India, the experience to make meaningful contributions to NGOs and social enterprises in India, and the leadership potential to become leaders on development issues.
- Citizen / permanent resident of the United States or citizen of India
- Between the ages of 21 and 34 prior to starting the program
- Complete an undergraduate degree prior to starting the program
Selection criteria include:
- General knowledge of the development field and development issues in India
- Ability to demonstrate a humble appreciation of other cultures and circumstances, and a willingness to acclimate to these differences
- Thoughtful consideration for the role the Fellowship experience will play in their life
- Ability and willingness to independently and creatively find ways to be helpful at their host organization
- Flexibility and adaptability to challenging living and working conditions
- Indian language skills are not required, but considered a highly valuable asset
Last updated: November 2016
Always check program websites for the most accurate and up-to-date information.
Fields of Study:
- Arts and Creative Fields
- Business and Law
- Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics
- Social Sciences and Humanities
- US Citizen
- US National or Permanent Resident
- Citizen of another country
- Round trip ticket to India; insurance coverage; monthly stipend